Forums
Posted By: Excoriator Mirror maze - 16th May 2021 11:10pm
Can anyone recall a mirror maze in Rhyl, years ago? As a child in the late 1940s / Early 1950s we went there on holiday and I persuaded my father to take mi into the mirror maze.I recall regretting it as we were lost for a short while and imagined my father and I would never get out!

I'm happy to say that we eventually did.
Posted By: Norton Re: Mirror maze - 24th May 2021 2:53pm
Yes, I do. It was at the Ocean Beach Funfair, not far from the 'Blue Bridge'.

In October 2019, Wales OnLine reported -
"The park saw thousands of visitors annually at the height of the British seaside summer holiday.
It was so popular that it had to relocate in 1954 from Marine Lake to a bigger space at the West end of the promenade.
The park featured many rides of historic interest including a 1950s Ghost Train, a 1930s vintage toy set, Britain's first ever tubular steel roller coaster - known as the jet Stream- and the world's last surviving circular water chute.
In July 2005, five people were injured when a rollercoaster left its tracks at the park. The car, which had been at ground level, was hit by the car behind and knocked off the rails.
But it was the "first accident in 40 years" reported at the park, which otherwise had a good safety record."

I find the date of 1954 to be out of step with my memory, as I remember it being closer to the Marine Lake, rather than near the prom. It had a wooden framed roller-coaster, painted white, which swayed about a lot. It had a hall of mirrors, including a maze and those deforming ones that make you look fat or thin (or both). Every so often, a magician would perform tricks, including making somebody disappear - all done with smoke and mirrors, of course, or should I say two way mirrors and lighting. Well, I got my dad back at the end of the performance!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral