Forums
Posted By: lincle divorce - 15th Nov 2020 10:48am
During a discussion the following subject cropped up that I’d like Wiki friends opinion on. Do divorced women need to revert back to their maiden names legally following divorce & would it cause problems with new loves if they kept their exes surname & wanted to remarry .Would it make future husband feel betrayed & humiliated in any way . Your opinion appreciated thanks
Posted By: Salmon Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 11:04am
There is no UK law which makes a woman revert to her pre marriage name. She might not want the hassle of changing her name for many reasons. I can't imagine future loves being too worried about the name as they will know the person is divorced and of course taking the new name in marriage shows full commitment.
Posted By: bert1 Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 11:46am
https://deedpolloffice.com/advice/woman-getting-divorced
Posted By: bert1 Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 11:54am
You can't hide divorce on future marriages if the truth is told, "Condition"

https://support.vitalcertificates.co.uk/article/59-what-information-is-on-a-uk-marriage-certificate
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 11:57am
Obviously any future husband would know of divorce as bigamy is illegal
Posted By: bert1 Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 12:18pm
It's not obvious at all, it depends whether the truth is told, at one time divorce was so expensive and difficult to achieve, only the few of certain standings could achieve it, Bigamist marriages were rife before the divorce laws were relaxed and it became more affordable.
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 1:05pm
My question was actually about changing name/ title following divorce being made absolute in which case bigamy wouldnt arise. Im sure pre internet that it would have been much harder than today but going back many years it wasnt possible so would women have been bothered with all the hassle. I personally know of no woman who has reverted back to her maiden name regardless of the reason for the divorce
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 2:27pm
I am surprised women formally change their surname to their husbands these days.

Anyone can formally change their name whenever they want via deed pole

You can also use and be known by any name you want without deed pole provided you use your correct name on any official documents, some banks allow a known-as name.

Although Mr Smith's wife never changed her name from Jones, they can be known as Mr & Mrs Smith for purposes like schools etc to avoid confusion.

Mr Deeper is my real name grin
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 2:37pm
Keep digging Mr Deeper 😀 you always come up with good info. Are you saying that if I remarried I could keep my ex husbands surname & not change to my new husbands. Gosh this is confusing
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 4:07pm
I could change my name to Dominic Thatcher-Cummings without marrying anyone.
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 4:39pm
But would you want to 😂
Posted By: granny Re: divorce - 15th Nov 2020 11:25pm
Divorced women don;t have to revert back to their maiden name.
It would seem a mad idea if their are children with the father's surname . I think the children should always come first when making decisions , it's a parental responsibility.
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 16th Nov 2020 9:40am
Agree Granny,no kids involved but are there any men out there who would cause an engagement to be broken because the fiancee still had MRS on her bank debit card along with ex husbands surname which she still uses
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: divorce - 16th Nov 2020 11:08am
I thought it a bit weird with my ex kept the surname of a person of someone that she “hated” so much. And now she’s divorced from me she’s kept Deeper as her surname yet supposedly “hates” me.

I guess it is mixed messages either way, whether it’s an amicable or acrinomious divorce.

But if someone’s got a real hump over it then it’s probably a sign of things to come and they are best got rid off.
Posted By: granny Re: divorce - 16th Nov 2020 12:50pm
Originally Posted by lincle
Agree Granny,no kids involved but are there any men out there who would cause an engagement to be broken because the fiancee still had MRS on her bank debit card along with ex husbands surname which she still uses

If men are as pedantic as breaking off an engagement for such a thing, clearly a) he's not in love with her b) he's a control freak.
I'd steer well clear. What's the point of being dictated to over such a silly thing.. She'd soon enough have his name . Maybe he's hoping to get access to her bank account ?
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 16th Nov 2020 9:43pm
Theres as much in her bank account as there is in his head , nothing ,!,,
Posted By: Greenwood Re: divorce - 17th Nov 2020 5:58pm
I couldn't wait to drop my married name and revert to my own. Later I needed to change back to it officially by deed poll, but it was no problem.
Posted By: lincle Re: divorce - 19th Nov 2020 4:44pm
Twenty five years ago I dont think it was as easy as today when most things can be done using technology
© Wirral-Wikiwirral