Forums
Posted By: lincle TV prob - 16th Oct 2020 10:10am
Any Sky engineers out there ?
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 16th Oct 2020 5:54pm
now sorted thanks
Posted By: casper Re: TV prob - 17th Oct 2020 9:06am
Originally Posted by lincle
now sorted thanks

Just as a bit of interest what caused it lincle? I was going to reply with the usual check list, reboot, check leads at the back, anyway glad its sorted.
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 17th Oct 2020 4:30pm
Hi Casper, “now sorted” was a bit premature. Still need an engineer. My Sons done all the usual checks but gets not connected signal ,HDMI cable .But cable is fine. The box doesnt appear to be connecting to the tv so Ive borrowed an older box which at least lets me watch tv but recordings on it freeze (so annoying) ,cant get catch up & a few other things that my box could get & Ive also got lots of recordings on it that I wanted to keep. Do you know any engineers who could help .Thanks
Posted By: casper Re: TV prob - 17th Oct 2020 5:37pm
Did you switch it off and on to reboot? is it one with a card. We only have the old type one, it's gone off a few times but we either give the card a wipe or reboot it that usually fixes it , hope you manage to mend it as the telly stinks lately.
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 17th Oct 2020 5:55pm
Hi Casper,Being a technophobe I left it all to my Son .Its been rebooted & the card has been wiped. Just about everything done but no joy. Im hoping someone may have a newer box I could borrow to try or a sky engineer might take pity on me. I watch very little on Sky but use the recorder a lot so thinking of Freesat with recorder & cancelling Sky.
Posted By: casper Re: TV prob - 18th Oct 2020 8:04am
Try Wirral free to you, I am sure I saw someone giving one away on there
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 18th Oct 2020 10:30am
thanks Casper. will look now
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 18th Oct 2020 8:44pm
Threw caution to the wind & phoned Sky after a friend told me to request an upgrade.Long story short,more than two hours of being passed from pillar to post I decided to phone the number to cancel my subscription & got a lovely lady who upgraded me free of charge instead of £99 & less monthly than Im paying at the moment .The new Sky box will be delivered soon . Thanks for responding Casper..
Posted By: casper Re: TV prob - 19th Oct 2020 7:42am
Glad your sorted lincle we need our tellies now, take care.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: TV prob - 24th Oct 2020 6:36pm
WHY you people waste money on tv packages ill never know idiot
Posted By: casper Re: TV prob - 25th Oct 2020 12:20pm
Originally Posted by _Ste_

For some the TV is their only source of entertainment, so they are paying for something that gives them pleasure, the same as some people smoke or drink or gamble or follow any number of hobbies.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: TV prob - 25th Oct 2020 12:47pm
Originally Posted by casper

For some the TV is their only source of entertainment, so they are paying for something that gives them pleasure, the same as some people smoke or drink or gamble or follow any number of hobbies.

I suspect, Ste means that he gets it for free or at very little cost with IPTV.
You have to admit, Sky is a rip-off.
Another thing, because Netflix has got so popular, it has spawned a load of other streaming sevices like Disney, Amazon and Britbox, to name just a few. Having so many competing services will eventually dilute the content. IMO, so much so, youtube will rival them, and that is free.
Posted By: casper Re: TV prob - 25th Oct 2020 1:51pm
If that's what he meant there was no need for the idiot emoji, as I said it's a personal choice.

Incidentally I have a firestick and don't pay, its all down to choice.
Posted By: Salmon Re: TV prob - 25th Oct 2020 5:52pm
Can you watch live football on IPTV for free? I thought you had to pay for most IPTV stuff that was worth having.
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 26th Oct 2020 8:47am
Maybe if Ste was stuck in for 24 hours a day he’d be glad of any method of viewing rip off or otherwise not everyone of a certain age is savvy with todays technology. I’ll be happy in another 2 weeks to get my Sky upgrade & money well spent in my opinion . Of course I could always waste it down the pub or maybe buy a season ticket to watch some stupid men kicking a ball around .
Posted By: mikeeb Re: TV prob - 26th Oct 2020 9:38am
Originally Posted by Salmon
Can you watch live football on IPTV for free? I thought you had to pay for most IPTV stuff that was worth having.

Yes, you can watch live football on free IPTV but it is unreliable. Paid for services are a lot better.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: TV prob - 26th Oct 2020 9:47am
Maybe if Ste was stuck in for 24 hours a day he’d be glad of any method of viewing rip off or otherwise not everyone of a certain age is savvy with todays technology. I’ll be happy in another 2 weeks to get my Sky upgrade & money well spent in my opinion . Of course I could always waste it down the pub or maybe buy a season ticket to watch some stupid men kicking a ball around .

Paying for Sky isn't too bad if you don't watch sport. My brother pays for it with the sports package, and pays over £80 a month, and this doesn't include, BT Sport. Not many people can afford that.
Posted By: _Ste_ Re: TV prob - 26th Oct 2020 10:06am
Originally Posted by mikeeb
Originally Posted by casper

I suspect, Ste means that he gets it for free or at very little cost with IPTV.
You have to admit, Sky is a rip-off.
Another thing, because Netflix has got so popular, it has spawned a load of other streaming sevices like Disney, Amazon and Britbox, to name just a few. Having so many competing services will eventually dilute the content. IMO, so much so, youtube will rival them, and that is free.

I do not watch it, I watch Netflix and YouTube that's it.
Or we buy films, they're that cheap these days I just don't understand people paying stupid amounts for sky or virgin.
Posted By: Salmon Re: TV prob - 26th Oct 2020 10:18am

Paying for Sky isn't too bad if you don't watch sport. My brother pays for it with the sports package, and pays over £80 a month, and this doesn't include, BT Sport. Not many people can afford that.

Originally Posted by Salmon

Yes, you can watch live football on free IPTV but it is unreliable. Paid for services are a lot better.

Thanks Mike for confirming what I thought and clearly this all comes down to what each individual is prepared to pay for what they enjoy.
Posted By: lincle Re: TV prob - 27th Oct 2020 9:14pm
I get the entertainment package only & consider it good value . Wouldnt pay 80p a month let alone £80 to watch sport.I do have netflix as part of a relatives subscription but very rarely watch it .I pay £25 month & Im happy with that.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: TV prob - 28th Oct 2020 9:44am
£25 a month isn't too bad.
I love watching football and F1, so they have me, and many others over a barrel.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: TV prob - 28th Oct 2020 2:04pm
How much is a single football match worth, for a number of teams it must be way above the three million pounds a match in wages alone.

Klopp (as good as he is) earns over £40,000 each and every day.

It is a consumer market gone totally mad.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: TV prob - 28th Oct 2020 2:57pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
It is a consumer market gone totally mad.

It's madder than mad, it's completely bonkers.
Posted By: muzzy2 Re: TV prob - 28th Oct 2020 5:19pm
Why don't you watch F1 on eplsite.uk/f1/stream1.html. it's free and live. Other sports as well.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: TV prob - 29th Oct 2020 11:24am
Web browser sites are a pain in the arse and just attack your device with tons of malware/adware/spyware.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: TV prob - 29th Oct 2020 2:00pm
Web browser sites are a pain in the arse and just attack your device with tons of malware/adware/spyware.

Just add Ublock Origin to your browser, 99% of the trash vanishes, browsing is a completely different experience.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral