Forums
Posted By: BultacoAstro Parkgate Shrimps - 26th Jan 2020 6:30pm
In 70s i used to cycle down the Wirral way on a Sunday with my Parents to Parkgate. It was one Hell of a Ride From Hooton to Parkgate and back. We used to go for the Shrimps in a Shop by the sea Wall A lady use to have pint mug and scoop up the Shrimps and put in Newspapers then we would nip to Pub and parents had a drink then the Cycle back.Dad crafty used to get me to shovel up some horse dung for his tomato plants on way home with promise of a Shandy or 2 yuk beer and lemonade No wonder I turned out tea total. Been thinking of Shrimps as went and bought some prawns the other day took shells off and hardly any taste as was fresh water. Is there any Shops left on Wirral what does sea Shrimp with shells but wear you get quite a lot because your shelling yourself. Thanks
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 26th Jan 2020 11:43pm
Only guesses:- Ward's in Birkenhead Market, New Ferry Farmers' Market or West Kirby Farmers' Market?

Prawns are nice with a very tiny amount of pepper added.
Posted By: BultacoAstro Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 27th Jan 2020 8:38am
Hi bought some Shrimps from Birkenhead market around 10 years ago. They sell them by the ounce and after paying I think a fiver I had to cut my tiger bread roll again. Today I think my tiger roll would look very sad indeed with today's prices.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 27th Jan 2020 10:23am
The fish stall in Birkenhead market now only sells Southport shrimps in the freezer. They used to do River Dee ones around 2012.

The fishmonger in Hoylake does local ones.

And Peets fishmongers in Southport does fresh Southport ones.

https://www.facebook.com/peetsplaice/
Posted By: Dilly Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 29th Jan 2020 6:29pm
went into Birkenhead market today, £5.99 for 100 g . Think gold is cheaper smile
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 29th Jan 2020 7:15pm
Get your waders out Dilly!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 29th Jan 2020 10:02pm
Waders ? I'm buying a trawler smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Parkgate Shrimps - 30th Jan 2020 7:04pm
netted a few small brine shrimps out of west kirby marine lake. boil them up in a bit of sea water. Too fiddly to shell so just pulled heads off ate the lot on a butty....passable/
© Wirral-Wikiwirral