Forums
Posted By: casper Phone calls - 11th Mar 2019 6:43pm
Has anybody been getting phone calls with number unavailable? we have had eight today, not answered them, wondering is it another scam.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Phone calls - 11th Mar 2019 10:44pm
If number is unavailable you can pretty much bet it is a lifestyle survey, PPI or relating to the accident that you (never) had, not forgetting the problem that "John" has identified with your computer. Definitely ignore them and if you can then block them but that is not always successful as they use many numbers.
Posted By: casper Re: Phone calls - 12th Mar 2019 8:22am
Thanks Salmon.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Phone calls - 12th Mar 2019 8:02pm
dont normally get 8 in one time. Maybe someone trying to urgently contact you and they have their own number with held without knowing it
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Phone calls - 12th Mar 2019 9:21pm
We get several a day. They are either Indian Guys claiming to be from Microsoft, or BT, who are intent on repairing faults they have discovered on my computer, or trying to push PPI.

One variant is a recording of an American Woman claiming to be from 'British Telecoms' (not BT, note) threatening to shut down my internet unless I press 1 on my phone.

As they seem to originate outside the UK, it seems impossible to stop them. Depending on how busy I am I either hang up or waste their time by stringing them along until they get the message that they are wasting their time my record is 25 minutes, pretending the computer wasn't doing what it should do when he tried to get me to test it (It wasn't even switched on) and giving him the wrong email address and the wrong internet provider... The idea is that if they waste a great deal of time on someone, they will mark them down to be avoided in future.

Can't say it's been very successful so far.
Posted By: casper Re: Phone calls - 13th Mar 2019 8:53am
Originally Posted by fish5133
dont normally get 8 in one time. Maybe someone trying to urgently contact you and they have their own number with held without knowing it

I was thinking that fish, but everyone has my mobile number as well, and the scam numbers are easily recognisable, just annoying.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral