Forums
Posted By: oldbirkonian1 New Brighton stick car racing? - 30th Dec 2018 7:32pm
Any info or pics
Posted By: Greenwood Re: New Brighton stick car racing? - 31st Dec 2018 2:02pm
Thought you were talking about a Merseyside version of Pooh sticks or something, then the penny dropped! I used to have a couple of not-very-good snaps of that, but whether I can find them or not is another matter!
Posted By: Habdab Re: New Brighton stick car racing? - 31st Dec 2018 3:42pm
What kind of info?
It was run by TrackStar promotions and held on a modified version of the old oval cycling race track on the tower grounds between Dalmorton Road and Egerton Street New Brighton. The track consisted of Club straight, Banked bend, Dalmorton straight and River bend. The pits (or more accurately the place where metal was walloped back into shape with a sledge hammer after a crash) was between river bend and the promenade, and would be closed off for the race by wire ropes to prevent cars mixing with people at high speed (40 mph if you were lucky).
Slightly insane young men (myself included) used to forage all the old bangers from housing estates, rip out the haedlights, windows and interior and bolt in a roll cage made mostly from scaffolding tubes. Strap in a 1 gallon tin can as a fuel tank and you were good to go. There were even teams, I was in the Bright Sparks. (Purple and Silver) I'll see if I can locate some pictures, but I wouldn't hold your breath, We used to race them at Kirby as well. The rich people had mod stox. Cut down buggy things with decent engines. After so many years and a lot of house moves, it will a lucky find if I still have any.
I recall on a few occasions watching the odd hammer or spanner float around my head as the car rolled over and over and thinking, Oh, so that's where it went!. Then going to the St John's Ambulance with a headache after cracking my skull on the roll cage, only to be told, "Sorry, we can't give you any painkillers, We're not allowed to". That must have been the start of health and safety.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: New Brighton stick car racing? - 31st Dec 2018 5:46pm
I remember a few of the faces on the third video.

Posted By: johncon Re: New Brighton stick car racing? - 21st Feb 2019 4:01pm

I run a Facebook group for New Brighton Stock car and Banger racing . Try having a look on here lots of info and old Photos .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral