Forums
Posted By: granny Books for Autistics - 20th Nov 2018 1:17pm

Can anyone tell me if 'Where's Walley ' books are fine for children with autism ? I know some autistic children have similar to photographic memory, but I'm not sure if such a mass and conglomeration of tiny figures is a good or a bad thing for them. Aged 9 yrs.

If not what would be the best type of book ?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Books for Autistics - 20th Nov 2018 1:49pm
I don't think there is singular answer to that, Autism is a very broad spectrum of different sensitivities. Some will spot Wally straight away, others might be overwhelmed by the amount of detail and some will be fascinated by the amount of information and be counting and comparing other details, not Wally's.

In most cases it will be a safe bet but whether they take straight to it or bide their time is best left up to them as usual.

One of the most inspiring lectures I went to was a person with Asperger's, we all thought we had read the books seen the film and new a lot about it the condition but this guy managed to transfer his emotions on how things affected him which was fascinating, what the books never got across was the distraction level created by one small thing that might be irrelevant to us.
Posted By: cools Re: Books for Autistics - 20th Nov 2018 2:00pm
Just had a look on line to see and there is loads of suggestions and advice Granny. Saw the I Spy books were recommended and think the newer character is where Waldo..Advice there from people who have autistic kids, worth a look Granny , good luck..
Posted By: starakita Re: Books for Autistics - 20th Nov 2018 2:59pm
My daughter has autism. She's just turned 18 but she used to sit for hours reading books.I will ask her what sort of books she likes, can't promise much as she now finds you tube videos more interesting
Posted By: granny Re: Books for Autistics - 20th Nov 2018 11:16pm

Thanks folks. I will look at the I Spy books ,Cools.

I thought the Where's Wally books would have a lot of interest, but worried that it might be overload. I understand there are so many different spectrums to autism.
She's very good at maths and memorises music to play on the piano very quickly.

I'll wait for you to get back Star, thanks .
Posted By: starakita Re: Books for Autistics - 21st Nov 2018 10:36am
I asked my daughter about books, she doesn't have any preferences but she said she found the where's Wally books confusing. Too busy and too much going on.
Posted By: granny Re: Books for Autistics - 21st Nov 2018 2:13pm

OK. That's good to know, Star. Thank you very much. X
© Wirral-Wikiwirral