Forums
Posted By: Gold_Moon Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 30th Jun 2018 3:08pm
Hi, it's me again! hi

I have an original Art Deco fireplace that I want removed. (Photo below.) I'm happy to give it away to anyone who'd want it, if they're willing (and able!) to remove it. Does anyone know such a person please?

I could remove it myself, but not without destroying it, and I'd rather not do that. I'd like it to be preserved for someone to restore their 30's/40's(?) house with.

Many thanks as always for reading! happy

Attached picture Art Deco fireplace.jpg
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 30th Jun 2018 6:48pm
That is gorgeous, looks in good nick too.They don't make 'em like that any more. Hope you find someone who wants it. Might architectural salvage places be interested in having it?
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 30th Jun 2018 7:38pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Might architectural salvage places be interested in having it?

Hmm... didn't think of that. There's one local to me too! And yes, it's in lovely condition, that's why I don't want to damage it getting it out.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 30th Jun 2018 8:14pm
I'm afraid they don't fetch much money, too many demolished houses had them so there is a supply surplus and not many are fitted these days so a demand shortage.

Not usually difficult to take out but someone appears to have neatly caulked the hearth to the surround. They often have metal wires holding the surround to the wall either side near the top that have to be ripped out or cut, rarely there is also a metal frame involved.

Sometimes a fresh coat of plaster has bee added to the wall and the surround can be buried an inch or so into the wall but they still normally pull out once you get something behind them.

The hearth can usually be persuaded to let go with a flat spade or similar underneath, its normal to do a bit of movement on the hearth first to check how the hearth and surround interact.

The tiles at the back of the hearth that go into the opening may or may not be attached to the hearth, I've found them both ways.

The fireback behind can be quite interesting and sometime you find a newer one has been inserted into an older one.

I've taken a few out carefully even when I know they are going to be skipped, I can't bring myself to smash things like that.

Occasionally the tiles are worth more than the surround but it varies how easily the tiles let go from the base substance.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 1st Jul 2018 1:36am
@diggingdeeper - Thank you for your reply, that's very informative! smile

And you've given me much food for thought. I'll drop by my local architectural salvage place on Monday and see if the owner wants it and knows someone who can remove it. Because if left to me, then sadly, I'm inclined to think it's not going to come out in one piece. cry And maybe I wouldn't either! omg Those things are heavy! raftl

@diggingdeeper - If it turns out Salvage Guy isn't interested, could I possibly hire you to remove it?
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 10th Aug 2018 12:35pm
@ diggingdeeper - Many thanks for removing my fire surround, (twisting your back and smashing your finger in the process!)

Alas, it didn't come out intact, (as I had feared 😔), but it wasn't for the want of you trying, yes and I greatly appreciate your effort. 👍 You both sweat AND bled to save it. Sadly, it just wasn't to be - but c'est la vie, eh?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 10th Aug 2018 1:15pm
It was a shame, the photograph doesn't do it any justice, in real life it was much better looking and much more art deco with the green inserts. Finger is ok, not sore at all, it just wanted to do a mega-bleed, as you pointed out we should have put a prop underneath when I lowered the surround, I'm prone to missing the obvious sometimes.
Posted By: europa1 Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 16th Jan 2020 6:12am
This is a very sad but very typical example of someone honestly trying to help but not having the necessary experience or knowledge of how to complete the task. It is not the sort of task that you can 'Google' and then rush out and do. This attempt resulted in A) Injury to the well meaning but ill informed individual and B) The artifact being wrecked beyond repair. I removed and fitted many of these fireplaces over the years and believe me it takes four fit and strong YOUNG men who know what they are doing not two who frankly did not have a clue.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need Art Deco fireplace removed. - 16th Jan 2020 12:59pm
Shame you didn't volunteer your help @europa1, I'd love to have seen how you would have tackled this with the problems and job specification that you are still unaware of.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral