Forums
Posted By: spgb1a Colour and Strength Solar Light Batteries - 28th Apr 2018 1:54pm
Hi Guyz

Just a quick question, what colour and strength rechargable batteries are best for soalr lights.

Thnx for your time in reading this post
I think a bit more information is needed eg which lights, what power, how many, what solar panel or are you repairing old solar lights that have batteries built in.
Posted By: spgb1a Re: Colour and Strength Solar Light Batteries - 28th Apr 2018 6:45pm
Hi

ye sorry about that lack of info, i have a mixture of solar lights, 16 led lamp for instance, takin 3 batteries at a time, i was confused wether i could just get 3000mah batteries or does it have to be the whats already in the lamp and weather they should be the green rechargable or any colour
You can usually stick nicad's (ni-cd) or ni-mh in the ones with three batteries, some have a one-battery slot as well for lithium which is a bit more dangerous to replace but only one compartment has metal contacts so you don't get to choose.

I presume they are AA cells, poundworld used to sell some cheap ni-mh batteries which were half decent.

There is usually no proper control of the discharge or charge in solar lights, it will kill the batteries so its not worth putting something decent in unless you are feeling flush.

Any claim of 3000mah ni-mh batteries are usually false, about 2500mah is the limit.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Colour and Strength Solar Light Batteries - 28th Apr 2018 11:07pm
If they are old solar lights that are not working i would test them with some ordinary AA batteries before buying new rechargeables. Being outdoors they do suffer from water ingress etc. Saw someone on ebay selling the green rechargeable ones
Posted By: spgb1a Re: Colour and Strength Solar Light Batteries - 30th Apr 2018 3:39pm
heu guyz

thnx for all the info, i just really to know if i put a 3 x 3000 mah green rechargable into a lamp that just takes 3 x1 200 mah will it make any difference at all, and has it got to be green ones only or any colour will do
Colour doesn't matter, higher capacity doesn't matter but it must be ni-cd or ni-mh if that is what the batteries were that you took out.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral