Forums
Posted By: Gold_Moon Metal disability handrail. - 18th Apr 2018 8:23pm
Hi everyone! hi I'm looking for advice (again!) help

I have a substantial handrail lining my front path that I don't need (see photo.) I'd like to give it to someone that needs it and is able, (and willing), to remove it. But do you think anyone would be interested? The measurements are roughly 14ft length by 3½ft height.

Attached picture Hand Rail.jpg
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability hand rail. - 18th Apr 2018 8:32pm
If it was fitted by the council on one of the disability aid schemes, they should remove it I would have thought?

If you get desperate I'd come and chop it off level with the ground and take the metal away if the Council wash their hands of it, I'm afraid I'd probably leave filling the holes in up to you although there is an option I might offer.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Metal disability hand rail. - 18th Apr 2018 8:58pm
Not the easiest thing to remove for reuse. If you saw it off close to ground it would be too low to set in ground again so would need some welding or a bolt down shoe.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Metal disability handrail. - 18th Apr 2018 10:02pm
Thank you both for your quick replies! happy

@diggingdeeper - I never thought of that! Although if the council did fit it, would it make a difference that it was for the property's previous owners and not me?

And thank you for the offer! thumbsup I don't care about holes in my path... I could just patch it for now, it needs re-doing anyway. The whole garden does, the wall included.

@fish5133 - I have zero experience with this sort of stuff, so I just assumed it could be reused. It's a real waste if it can't. Especially since similar ones I've seen for sale online are very costly. Shame! no
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 18th Apr 2018 10:56pm
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
@diggingdeeper - I never thought of that! Although if the council did fit it, would it make a difference that it was for the property's previous owners and not me?

If the Council do take them away I can't see the change of ownership being a problem but I have a feeling you get put on the end of a very long list. They certainly aren't in a hurry when picking up portable disability equipment.

I could break up the concrete foundations in-situ and take it out intact if somebody wants it but it will leave you with much bigger holes to sort out and a paving stone to replace probably, there is also a chance its bolted down underneath the surface but I doubt it.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Metal disability handrail. - 19th Apr 2018 7:40am
Depending on your age, you may need it yourself one day soon. At any age it would be useful when the path is icy. Why not keep it?
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Metal disability handrail. - 19th Apr 2018 8:27am
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
I could break up the concrete foundations in-situ and take it out intact if somebody wants it

laugh Yes! That's what I want! yomama I don't care that I'll be left with bigger holes to sort out, the whole path needs work as the level has been raised with concrete, (possibly for a wheelchair?)

How much would it be for you to do the job please?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 19th Apr 2018 9:34am
I’m retired, I don’t charge for anything.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Metal disability handrail. - 19th Apr 2018 9:59am
Oh wow! laugh Thank you very much! thumbsup

When can you call down please?
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Metal disability handrail. - 19th Apr 2018 11:00am
@ Excoriator - As you can see, the bar completely blocks the way into the garden ("yarden?") area. I'm too young to need it, but too old to be doing the limbo! yipee

It goes! yes
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 19th Apr 2018 5:40pm
PM sent.
Posted By: saltytom Re: Metal disability handrail. - 20th Apr 2018 6:12am
You don't need to dig anything up, this can be removed with a disc cutter 10 mins work.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 20th Apr 2018 10:26am
Not if the rail is to be kept intact which was the original idea.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Metal disability handrail. - 20th Apr 2018 12:14pm
Originally Posted by Gold_Moon
@ Excoriator - As you can see, the bar completely blocks the way into the garden ("yarden?") area. I'm too young to need it, but too old to be doing the limbo! yipee

It goes! yes

Bah! Take a flying leap and go OVER it like a gazelle!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 1:04pm
That went a million times easier than I guessed, thirty minutes and it was all done. I thought there may be square plates on the end of the poles but there wasn't, just plain poles going down about 15"

Chiselled a one inch trench round each pole to about 4"-6", bit of a waggle and then it slid up and out in one piece.

No takers so then cut it up into eight parts and its in my store of useful things that might be used in the future for some whacky project (maybe a car lift).

As you say, it has opened your front up enormously, good luck with the rest of the projects for the house.
Posted By: venice Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 1:31pm
Good work DD.Nice it went to plan. So often these days , what looks like a quick job turns into a series of things like --- Ugh, its the wrong size ,look for the other one. damn , its stuck, tsst , that bits come away now --- need a bit of filler, ok push, nooooo! its snapped ! Try putting it that way --yes brilliant ,, close it again oh bugg*r its not lined up now -- put it the other way round, --oh hell its rotten behind and the whole thing has come down and brought the other one with it ! Story of my life lol!
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 2:37pm
That's why I prefer working on other peoples things raftl
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 5:26pm
Talking of disasters, replacing a compression joint isolating valve today, the pipe must have been imperial as the olive hadn't shrunk onto the pipe at all, despite my usual overtightening. Found out about 20 minutes after I put the water back on, unfortunately the mains valve was about 100 yards away as well doh!.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 9:13pm
@ diggingdeeper - Thank you again so very much for a fantastic job, you removed that handrail like a BOSS! laugh So fast and such a neat job too, the holes left were tiny. thumbsup I was much impressed, and I greatly appreciate you giving your time to help out a total stranger. happy

Check out my "yarden" now everybody! The spaaaaace! party

Attached picture Ugly rail gone!.jpg
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 9:22pm
Originally Posted by venice
So often these days , what looks like a quick job turns into a series of things like --- Ugh, its the wrong size ,look for the other one. damn, its stuck, tsst, that bits come away now --- need a bit of filler, ok push, nooooo! its snapped! Try putting it that way -- yes brilliant, close it again oh bugg*r its not lined up now -- put it the other way round, -- oh hell its rotten behind and the whole thing has come down and brought the other one with it!

@Venice - Wow. You just described my whole house! omg
Posted By: venice Re: Metal disability handrail. - 26th Apr 2018 11:29pm
Lol -- oh dear Gold moon , youre in it for the long haul then eh ha! All my DIY takes ages --- that farce I posted above, was based merely on tightening a hinge on a kitchen cabinet, so you can imagine how long I am doing bigger repairs and stuff lol -- although I have to say , most of my time goes into the thinking what to do first from the list of jobs. I have a degree in procrastination .
© Wirral-Wikiwirral