Forums
Posted By: Gold_Moon Fire Department Or Thieves? - 8th Mar 2018 9:29am
Can anyone please tell me, have 2 men claiming to be from the fire department - and offering to fit free smoke alarms - called at your home?

Because they were in St. Brides Road, Wallasey yesterday, around 3pm.

1 person who let them in DID get a free smoke alarm fitted, BUT talking to her afterwards, she said she wasn't expecting them as neither she nor they had made an appointment.

I'm worried! If they were legit, surely they'd have made arrangements first before calling? Even it was just a letter/flyer through the door?
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Fire Department Or Thieves? - 8th Mar 2018 9:35am
They do random calls sometimes, normally have a fire vehicle with them of some sort.

Phone Wallasey fire station (0151 296 6180) and they will confirm if they were doing your area.

EDIT: maybe Community fire number would be better 0151 296 4932
Posted By: venice Re: Fire Department Or Thieves? - 8th Mar 2018 9:38am
We get them around here in South Wirral every so often and no they dont make an appointment , but they do have ID on them and usually theres a fire engine somewhere around too. I think they may have put flyers through , the week before , saying they would be in the area (but I only vaguely think I might have seen one) If you need one fitted but youre not sure about them, you can always check ID and make a quick phone call to the local fire station to ask.
Posted By: Gold_Moon Re: Fire Department Or Thieves? - 9th Mar 2018 12:21am
Thank you to all that replied, I feel a lot better about their visit now! happy

And thank you for the phone numbers you've provided diggingdeeper, I'll give them a ring just to be sure. smile
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Fire Department Or Thieves? - 9th Mar 2018 9:52am
I've had them before, turning up in a big fire engine, which reassured me!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral