Forums
Posted By: granny A bit worried - 20th Sep 2017 9:43am

If anyone has seen my post on Rescued Animals about a guy from Syria, they will know what the possible connection to this is.

Yesterday, I had a 'friend' request from someone with an Arab name. That put me on edge to start with. So I looked at his profile and it had . Facebook ...Leader, dated June this year. Not much else to see on his page. He apparently lives in Ibril ,Iraq.
Would you be concerned ? I have no idea why he would make such a request as I only go onto the Animal Sanctuary links.
Anyway, I have basically refused and deleted.
What does Facebook Leader, mean ?
Posted By: cools Re: A bit worried - 20th Sep 2017 11:58am
Well Granny I can't help you with your Facebook query as I don't use Facebook and don't really know how it works. I must admit your previous post on the guy from Syria made me feel Abit uneasy and sceptical. It sounded like one of those scams where they get someone's email etc and pretend to have accident or whatever in the hope if getting money. As I say I'm not at all savvy with all this but I would change your Facebook and email and cut yourself off from them, you may start getting inundated with begging requests. I most prob being too suspicious but it just sound iffy to me....
Posted By: Madge Re: A bit worried - 20th Sep 2017 4:58pm
its a scam delete and block and move on, Facebook will only ever contact you through their notification panel
Posted By: granny Re: A bit worried - 20th Sep 2017 9:47pm

Thanks Madge and Cools. I did block any further notifications and hoped that would be enough.

We have to be so aware and possibly terrified of our own shadows to some extent, but one never knows in this day and age .

Posted By: fish5133 Re: A bit worried - 21st Sep 2017 12:12am
Friend requests......just ignore or delete if you dont know them.simple.
Posted By: buddy Re: A bit worried - 21st Sep 2017 10:35am
I had a friends request yesterday - she wanted to "perform" with me!! - obviously she didn't realise how old I was - sadly had to delete her!!
Posted By: Dilly Re: A bit worried - 21st Sep 2017 12:02pm
Originally Posted by buddy
I had a friends request yesterday - she wanted to "perform" with me!! - obviously she didn't realise how old I was - sadly had to delete her!!

I have no friends, even Granny has deleted me from her Christmas list frown
Posted By: starakita Re: A bit worried - 21st Sep 2017 4:36pm
I've had 3 friend requests this week 3 girls looking for hot guys,sorry but they picked the wrong sex.Deleted them & marked them up as spam so they can't friend request me again.
Posted By: granny Re: A bit worried - 21st Sep 2017 11:12pm

Do these people just make random choices ? I find it strange.

Don't have to go to face book for that, plenty of random choices on here. laugh Maybe that's why everyone has left ?
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: A bit worried - 22nd Sep 2017 2:23pm
I received a very real looking email from 'Insureandgo'thanking me for buying travel insurance on 8th September and providing a link so I could 'view your documents'.

By a coincidence I had purchased travel insurance on 5th September from another company.

The email quoted the price I paid as £391.The idea is for people to be shocked at the price and immediately click on the link to examine the 'documents.

Doing so immediately installs malware into your device which steals your passwords and other details.

Delete straight away.
Posted By: granny Re: A bit worried - 22nd Sep 2017 7:50pm

So how do they get your email, Tigertiger . Are emails sold on just like phone numbers.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: A bit worried - 22nd Sep 2017 10:21pm
Yes unfortunately and sometimes by 'reputable' companies! If you google it there are lots of agencies doing it.
Posted By: granny Re: A bit worried - 22nd Sep 2017 10:56pm

Just had a quick look, and it says many councils sell electoral registers too, earning themselves £250,000. That was back in 2013 and wasn't new then.

Sick of the lot of them. They have no right to sell them on, as it has to be a never ending trail, eventually it could end up in Timbuktu , maybe that's why we get all these strange phone calls now. Grrrrrr !

Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: A bit worried - 22nd Sep 2017 11:43pm
Yes! I received a phone call at work from an Asian sounding gentleman to tell me that he was speaking from BT and the internet was being suspended for ten days due to an unpaid bill. I said that was fine and he replied it was not fine and I said it was because I would not have to do any work for ten days. He said "Sir! I cannot understand why you are taking this attitude!!" Then he asked for my bank details to 'settle this mess now' and I refused to give them and he became angry and said 'Sir! Do you not understanding it is criminal offence to refuse to give me your bank details to be paying off this bill now!!!" So I told him scamming is a criminal offence and he terminated the call.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: A bit worried - 23rd Sep 2017 7:53pm
Scams everywhere:

https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_b...p;utm_term=I%20just%20got%20a%20callAIBU
Posted By: locomotive Re: A bit worried - 23rd Sep 2017 7:58pm
When you fill your "Electoral Return " in every year, tick the box that says you do not wish to go on the public register (or words to that effect, I can't remember exactly), so your details are not available to all and sundry, it seems to cut down on the scam phone calls.
Posted By: tigertiger1953 Re: A bit worried - 24th Sep 2017 6:22am
Certainly watch out for this guy......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9biM_ZfIdo
Posted By: granny Re: A bit worried - 24th Sep 2017 8:18am
Originally Posted by tigertiger1953
Certainly watch out for this guy......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9biM_ZfIdo

raftl

Loco, some of us confirmed that nothing had changed by either phone or text, so there was no mention of declining public register thing. More fool us. Caught again !
© Wirral-Wikiwirral