Forums
Posted By: Snodvan confidential paper waste - 5th Aug 2017 11:14am
Does anyone know of a local facility where I can dispose of confidential paper waste? This can be files of paper up to half an inch thick. I have about 4 filing cabinet drawers of such material and severe illness means I need to clear it all away "soon" - preferably at low/ zero cost.

I bought an incinerator for HomeBargains and tried that but it cannot cope with the wads of paper even if I get it good and hot with crumples individual paper sheets & some wood ---- and likely creates a lot of air pollution.

If all else fails it will just go to Bidston tip - but I would rather not.

Cheers, SNOD
Posted By: Excoriator Re: confidential paper waste - 5th Aug 2017 2:19pm
Why not buy or borrow a shredder? They can get through a lot of paper quickly, but you need to give them a shot of WD40 every hundred sheets or so to keep the blades lubricated. You'll need a lot of bin-bags too, by the sound of it. I find feeding sheets of paper into it - it will take four or five sheets at a time - a very therapeutic activity.

The shredded paper can be added to assorted plant material and makes excellent compost, although I suspect it would burn quite well too. In shredded form it contains a lot of air.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: confidential paper waste - 5th Aug 2017 4:20pm
What about companies that come to you
with heavy duty shredding equipment on
board.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: confidential paper waste - 5th Aug 2017 8:44pm
I have a shredder - generally not a bad one but max is 5 sheets at a time AND sfter 15 mins use the thermal trip cuts in and it needs 30 mins to cool down. Feeding pages through the thing is NOT theraputic it is decidely BORING

There is a place down Neston way where they charge around £12 per 16kg of paper if you take the stuff to their place in their proper bags. I may do some sorting and weighing.

Thanks folks

SNOD

Posted By: Excoriator Re: confidential paper waste - 5th Aug 2017 8:47pm
Cost a bloody fortune!

Seriously, does it all meed to be shredded? I reckon much of it will go in the recycling bin. Shred only what needs it.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: confidential paper waste - 5th Aug 2017 10:13pm
Get someone to dig a hole and bury it, provided the ground is moist the paperwork won't last long?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: confidential paper waste - 6th Aug 2017 6:38pm
Intend to do that ie remove key pages and then the rest is just junk. Still reckon there will be equivalent of a wheelie bin full that has to be destroyed

Snod
Posted By: granny Re: confidential paper waste - 8th Aug 2017 9:49am

That's a lot of paper, Snod. Stick it in a bin and throw a few bottles of bleach all over it. Should at least remove most of the print.
I'm sorry to hear you are not so good, Snod.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: confidential paper waste - 8th Aug 2017 8:26pm
Hummm Not a bad idea Granny - but then where do I get rid of a bin full of bleachy paper mache?

I will try to keep my spirits up on the health fron Granny, but "Big C" (asbestosis) is defo not nice

SNOD
Posted By: granny Re: confidential paper waste - 8th Aug 2017 10:15pm

If you let it dry out, you could get it out easily. Doubt it would take too long to dry.

With regard to your health, I'm very sorry to know that,it sounds very nasty . Yes, please try to keep your spirits up , I believe it can help a lot.
Posted By: granny Re: confidential paper waste - 8th Aug 2017 11:22pm
Paper mache ideas. If you have any grandchildren, get them on it !

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=p...mp;bih=541#imgrc=_&spf=1502234407734
© Wirral-Wikiwirral