Forums
Posted By: palemoon Tesco car parking fine - 3rd May 2017 6:15pm
My neighbour parked in Tesco Heswall car park for just over three hours. She did her shopping then went to meet a friend for a coffee and was unaware of a time limit (yes, I know there are signs all over the place but she didn't see them until she returned to her car). She has been told to ignore any fines as she is not legally bound to pay them. Does anyone have any experience of such an incident?
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Tesco car parking fine - 3rd May 2017 7:18pm
Usual scenario... been debated on here several times. Private company not Tesco. Hinges around contract law. A Heswall solicitor posted an article in Heswall magazine saying don't pay but alledgedly there have been some recent court cases upholding the so called fines issued by private companies.
If she has shopped in Tesco and can prove it to Tesco (till receipt and time of parking fine) it might be worth approaching Tesco first as they will not want to upset bona fide customers.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Tesco car parking fine - 3rd May 2017 7:40pm
Thanks for that, fish. I'll nip next door before she bins the receipt..... seeyu
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Tesco car parking fine - 3rd May 2017 8:49pm
Originally Posted by palemoon
as she is not legally bound to pay them.

Technically that is true, it is a civil offence at the moment so there is no legal obligation BUT if the parking company take her to court she will then be legally obliged to pay.

Costs rapidly escalate if the case progresses further, you take your choice on the risk, a lot of cases are not taken further but one person ended up with a total of £24,500 in total CLICKY after it went to court etc.

In reality if she is a regular shopper there and speaks to Tesco nicely they will probably get it cancelled.

I wouldn't volunteer information that she left the Tesco premises (went for coffee?) because in that case there is no 3 hour rule - she parked contrary to the contract.
Posted By: palemoon Re: Tesco car parking fine - 3rd May 2017 8:58pm
Originally Posted by diggingdeeper
Originally Posted by palemoon
as she is not legally bound to pay them.

Technically that is true, it is a civil offence at the moment so there is no legal obligation BUT if the parking company take her to court she will then be legally obliged to pay.

Costs rapidly escalate if the case progresses further, you take your choice on the risk, a lot of cases are not taken further but one person ended up with a total of £24,500 in total CLICKY after it went to court etc.

In reality if she is a regular shopper there and speaks to Tesco nicely they will probably get it cancelled.

I wouldn't volunteer information that she left the Tesco premises (went for coffee?) because in that case there is no 3 hour rule - she parked contrary to the contract.

WOW!!!
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Tesco car parking fine - 4th May 2017 9:27am
Time to make that car park Pay & Display, with a refund voucher if you shop in Tesco. I get really fed up when I try and shop there but can't because of the people using it for free parking to go into Heswall.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral