Forums
Posted By: rossie Homing Pigeon - 25th Apr 2017 9:23am
Sad little ringed pigeon found in Moreton. Any ideas what to do with him please ring 0151 488 5064 or 07806784208.
Many thanks
Posted By: granny Re: Homing Pigeon - 25th Apr 2017 10:17am
Sometimes they come down to rest.

Report a stray..see link

http://www.rpra.org/stray-reporting/
Posted By: Beethoven Re: Homing Pigeon - 25th Apr 2017 12:08pm
I found one a few years back in the sand dunes at West Kirby, I managed to contact the owner but he didn't want it back, apparently if they don't come back even one time they're permanently on the naughty step. Luckily I found a nice chap in Rock Ferry who kept pigeons and agreed to give the poor birdie a good home.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Homing Pigeon - 25th Apr 2017 1:36pm
If it didn't make it home it is just a pigeon, and the person whom it belong to would have no use for it. Don't think they see them as pets,sad really.
Posted By: rossie Re: Homing Pigeon - 25th Apr 2017 5:46pm
Thanks very much for advice. A very kind gentleman has collected her and is going to look after her.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Homing Pigeon - 26th Apr 2017 9:51am
They make good pies, but you need more than one!

If it has a ring, it will have a number which identifies the owner, you can report it to http://www.homingpigeons.co.uk/lostpigeon.htm who will sort out returning it.
Posted By: venice Re: Homing Pigeon - 26th Apr 2017 12:11pm
The racers dont want them if they cant find their way home easily - returning them would result in wringing their necks instead of ringing their legs. If released immediately , they will still try and get home , but when they do its curtains ! Ive heard from rescues that they believe the best way to deal with them is to remove ring, cage for 3 weeks and feed well . After that time , they are released, food left out every day for a week , by which time the homing instinct is all but gone, the bird hangs round a bit for the easy food , and then when the supply decreases and stops ,goes off as a wild pigeon .
Posted By: rossie Re: Homing Pigeon - 27th Apr 2017 8:15pm
Thanks the owner was contacted but as previous posters advise they were not interested.
Posted By: rossie Re: Homing Pigeon - 27th Apr 2017 8:17pm
Thanks Venice. I think the guy who collected it is going to try something like you suggest. Very sad but it is good that there are caring people around.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral