Forums
Posted By: yr20405 Need advice about Letting - 16th Mar 2017 10:58am
I'm currently with an agent who's managing my property but he's doing a bad job of it.

Anyone know of any reliable decent letting agents that do their job? and also If I were to manage a property on my own apart from dealing with any problems with the property. would I have to do any paperwork?
Posted By: kittykat Re: Need advice about Letting - 16th Mar 2017 11:17am
Andrews Estates I would recommend, Jones & Chapman steer well clear of. You could always try a tenant find only so they'll advertise and do the tenancy etc and that's it leaving you responsible to collect rent and manage it yourself. People seem not to like this as too much responsibility and don't like the phone calls but if a tenant isn't going to pay the rent they won't pay the agent either and if there is a problem with the property the agent will only ring you anyway unless it's a minor issue which you will be charged through the nose for. If you advertise it yourself you will be inundated with people but it's up to you if you trust your gut instinct to choose wisely. Just make sure you get a tenancy agreement in place.
Posted By: starakita Re: Need advice about Letting - 16th Mar 2017 11:24am
I've just been switched to Reeds Rains.I was with the previous agent for 4 years the landlord must of decided on a change,the new property manager has phoned me & introduced himself & sent a letter.I've had a few problems which have never got sorted so hopefully things may be better with these but I'm only a tennant so it's in the landlords hands.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Need advice about Letting - 16th Mar 2017 4:53pm
Moscrops aren't bad, seem to consult the landlord for authorisation where repairs are needed. Eleccy, gas, carpet people they use are great but they tend to use a Liverpool plumbers which, as a tenant, I asked for someone else because they were rubbish so their gas man did the jobs instead. Decorators are ok for complete jobs but a bit rubbish for cheap smaller touch up jobs (eg used matt to touch up satin paint). I think Moscrops are basically responsive to the landlord's requirements, a penny pinching landlord will get a penny pinching job, a more responsible Landlord will get a decent job. Overall from a tenant's aspect I have been pleased with Moscrop's service despite having a bit of a penny pinching landlord.

If you go it alone you may have to register with a deposit protection scheme, some are dear some are free. Dealing with some tradesmen isn't the best way to keep your hair.
Posted By: venice Re: Need advice about Letting - 17th Mar 2017 8:48pm
Dont forget you can haggle these days to get the % down once you have narrowed down to a couple of potential agents. Id be looking for no more than 8% .These links from last time are still relevant to the actual paperwork and knowledge you would need in order to manage it yourself. The forums help no end if you ask questions. Just tenant find is a reasonable middle course if you live near enough to the rented property to do maintenance bits and pieces yourself.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/forums/forum.

and this

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5180214
© Wirral-Wikiwirral