Forums
Posted By: cools Ancestry free 14 day trial - 1st Feb 2017 9:50pm
Thinking of taking advantage of this offer about a free 14 day trial so I can do abit of research on my family. To enable me to do this I have to register and give card details if I don't inform them after 14 days they will take a subscription obviously. Has anybody done this trial and are there no problems as long as you inform them before the trial ends you don't wish to continue? Always worry that once you give them your details it's hard to stop money going out.
Posted By: granny Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 1st Feb 2017 11:57pm

No, Cools . I have often thought about it, but held back in case I forgot to inform them, as it's not so cheap.
It is an absolute pain now though, as nearly everything seems to lead to Ancestry. When I started mine everything was free, and so it still should be, if it's online.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 12:08am
Why should it be free just because it is online? Surely the company have lots of costs to set it up,systems to be analysed, programmed,tested. Online sites, advertising, support to be paid for.Until is up and running well there will be little or no advertising revenue and in the meantime mouths have to be fed and mortgages paid etc.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 12:24am
I had a "lifetime membership" rewarded to me at one time - apparently I must have expired at some point.
Posted By: granny Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 12:36am
Originally Posted by Salmon
Why should it be free just because it is online? Surely the company have lots of costs to set it up,systems to be analysed, programmed,tested. Online sites, advertising, support to be paid for.Until is up and running well there will be little or no advertising revenue and in the meantime mouths have to be fed and mortgages paid etc.

Because initially, there was no need for a company ! The records were there to be found. FreeBMD are as the title says, Free, Familysearch, is free and if we go to the libraries, the census are all free, and so is the IGI.
Ancestry have gleaned all the information and started charging.

Ancestry.com : Ancestry.com LLC is a privately held Internet company based in Lehi, Utah, United States. The largest for-profit genealogy company in the world
Posted By: cools Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 9:55am
It's a hard one isn't it? Looked on these sites that offer free but quite hard to follow and ancestry seems to give alot of pointers to help you as I haven't got much idea and very little details on my family. Longevity doesn't run in my family so no one to ask. Might take the plunge and make sure I cancel before time up. Thanks for your input.
Posted By: geprgie260 Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 1:11pm
When I first started researching my family tree, I too, was wary of giving my card details. However I took the plunge and did the 14 day free trial, cancelling it a day or two before the trial ended. I didn't experience any issues at all. And Findmypast do similar trials - same thing, just untick auto-renew and you are ok.

I will say for ancestry - that when I did have a problem they sorted it out straight away. I'd paid for a sub and I'd checked it wouldn't renew itself. But when I got my bank statement I saw that they had taken a payment, therefore renewing the subscription. I calmly explained to them that I hadn't wished to continue and told them they could clearly see I hadn't looked at any further genealogy records since the renewal date; as I hadn't, thinking my sub had ended, so they apologised and refunded me the money. No messing around.

Ancestry and FMP have different records too, so it depends on what county etc you are looking for. Good luck in your research, hope you find plenty of 'facts'. It is addictive!!

Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 2:56pm
Got to admit that I'm not comfortable with companies that sell information that is either already in the public domain or out of copyright.

Ancestry must be doing something right, they get about $685m revenue a year and over half of that is profit. I consider it way over-priced but if people are paying it then it must be the market rate?
Posted By: cools Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 2nd Feb 2017 3:46pm
Thanks geprgie for your advice thats very helpful, and it's nice to hear someone who has used it say it's OK. May go ahead and see what I can find out. Thanks everyone.
Posted By: locomotive Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 3rd Feb 2017 6:32pm
If you go to your library, it's free for the first half hour, then I think it's 50p per half hour, I haven't been for a long time so I'm not sure about the 50p. I also did the 14 day free trial a few years ago without any problems, whichever you choose spend a bit of time beforehand sorting out the questions and people you're researching.
Posted By: cools Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 3rd Feb 2017 8:11pm
Thanks Loco, have been library today spent about 2 hours there and managed to find some info which was quite good,it's quite exciting when you think you are onto something. It's 75pence a half hour which is very reasonable and I was able to print stuff off so think I will carry on digging using library for now.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 3rd Feb 2017 10:21pm
Interesting, the Wirral Library's website says ....

Originally Posted by https://www.wirral.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives
Findmypast.co.uk - Use a computer in any Wirral library for free access. With over 4 billion records and 11 million historic newspaper pages to explore, Findmypast is the best place to discover your family’s story.

and
Originally Posted by https://www.wirral.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives
Library members can use the computers for free for half an hour, and 85p per half hour after that.
Posted By: cools Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 3rd Feb 2017 10:41pm
You did get the first half hour free DD but as far as I'm aware it was 75 pence after unless I misheard, I suppose these days they can't be free we lucky to have them still open.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 4th Feb 2017 12:12am
I was picking up that they state/imply its free for findmypast but charge for general computer access. Half an hour of genealogy is a trivial amount of time.
Posted By: granny Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 4th Feb 2017 11:22am
Half an hour is nothing . They may charge for the micro-fiche machines too, and of course, I suppose they have to make sure that everyone get's the availability, otherwise you'd get some slug attached to it,.. all day.

I assume you have to book in advance now ?

The cost of the computer access is quite expensive when you think about it. Probably used by many who cannot afford to pay for their own internet. Job searching can also take a massive amount of time.

Posted By: cools Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 4th Feb 2017 10:45pm
No I don't think you have to book Granny well not in the little one I went to. They only had two computers and I must admit very slow but it was OK. Must admit though I was on for about two hours and someone was using the other and a man came in not very happy about them just having 2 and both being used. I'll go again next week and try for more info, I don't mind the price think it's very reasonable really , you don't get anything for free these days with all the cuts.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Ancestry free 14 day trial - 7th Feb 2017 4:48pm
just to let you know these websites have free days on bank holidays and Easter weekends and days to do with war like 27th of Jan and the 11th of Nov
© Wirral-Wikiwirral