Forums
Posted By: Dilly Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 12:23pm
Hi you clever wiki people . I moved house over the weekend and my problem is my tv will only work on Bbc and 2 no other channels. I have done a retune and still the same, when I first tuned it it was getting all channels but all but Bbc were breaking up . Tried it again this morning and all other channels come up no signal. Thinking it could be the arial i tried my bedroom tv on it and that works fin. Tv is around 12 months old so will be out of guarantee frown . It has not been damaged in the move. Any ideas please. Thank you. smile
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 1:51pm
It could possibly have been damaged by shock or vibration. The removal company will probably be insured against damage like this so I'd ask them.

Watching BBC2 can be dangerous. It can turn you into an intellectual quicker than you can switch it off!
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 2:11pm
Done the removal myself so no chance of insurance. As for being turned into an intellectual, well you obviously don't know me but intellectual I will never be smile
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 2:53pm
Dilly did you know that you get two-year warranty under EU rules you only have to prove the purchase, so you could supply a bank or credit card statement instead. smile
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 3:56pm
It could be the aerial feed into that room
If it works in the bedroom, that seems to be pointing to the coax cable being the problem in the other room and not the TV causing the issue
That is my 2 bobs worth anyway
Posted By: casper Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 5:25pm
Some technical advice, not, make sure the coax plug is secure at the end of the cable, also try moving the cable about at the back of the telly and see if affects the picture, my last dalliance with a telly was many years ago moving an indoor ariel around to get a better picture, went to look over the back of the telly and the ariel poked me in the eye and it had no little plastic bit on the end, off to casualty, doh smack
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 5:28pm
Cheers Edd I never knew that.Mike when I say I've tried bedroom tv I mean I've tried it in the living room. Thanks for the replies.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 5:52pm
Originally Posted by Dilly
Cheers Edd I never knew that.Mike when I say I've tried bedroom tv I mean I've tried it in the living room. Thanks for the replies.

My 2 bob isn't even worth a bob, Doh!
Posted By: Vanmanone Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 6:24pm
Have you checked the Ariel is digital,We had a similar problem, TV would only scan a few of the channels in my lads room, His problem was not having a suitable digital Arial on the roof and was using a small portable one, maybe worth a look into Dilly .
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 7:07pm
Originally Posted by Vanmanone
Have you checked the Ariel is digital,We had a similar problem, TV would only scan a few of the channels in my lads room, His problem was not having a suitable digital Arial on the roof and was using a small portable one, maybe worth a look into Dilly .

Cheers Van but it's the fact that my small telly works fine on it. Just had to watch corrie on a 20 inch, not fun with eyes as old as mine smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 8:23pm
I think the aerial wire itself from the aerial to the tv has to be digital as well as the aerial.

Wires several years old are not digital
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 8:35pm
Cheers Derek but I still don't understand how the smaller tv works fine on it. Both tvs are modern flat screens.
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 8:52pm
are you using an aerial splitter to get tv to the bedroom and your living room - if so try switching the aerial leads over.
Have you tried your big tv in the bedroom?

What about the setup menu on the remote as I think you wipe the existing channels when doing a new setup
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 18th Jul 2016 9:03pm
I've just moved into this property and the only connection is in the living room . The small tv was used in the bedroom of my last place. So what I don't understand is why the smaller one works fine on the same connection.
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Tv problem - 19th Jul 2016 1:19pm
watching corrie, you old woman

ive got a signal booster, will take to pub tonight

dont bring your knitting this time doris
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 19th Jul 2016 1:39pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips
watching corrie, you old woman

ive got a signal booster, will take to pub tonight

dont bring your knitting this time doris

I live in liscard now so will be drinking in spoons (not) smile
Cheers Egg,if it's not tonight it will be tomorrow night.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 19th Jul 2016 6:17pm
Well folks who wants to be first to call me a knob ? . Had to be home today for the plumber and while I was waiting for him I thought I take a look to see if I could see the aerial. Gasp horror there it was with the mast snapped and almost lying flat. Yes I know I'm a knob but never suspected it to be the aerial because the smaller tv was working fine. So go ahead and call me what you wish and I will take it on the chin. smile . Thank you all for your replies.
Posted By: snowshoes Re: Tv problem - 19th Jul 2016 8:43pm
We all do it Dilly. Good job on finding problem.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Tv problem - 19th Jul 2016 9:06pm
Originally Posted by snowshoes
We all do it Dilly. Good job on finding problem.

Snowshoes you are too kind smile
Posted By: Wally1 Re: Tv problem - 20th Jul 2016 12:32am
You found the answer that's the main thing!

Two nights ago our fridge stopped working - panic - until
I noticed that something had fallen against the wall socket
and switched it off.

Tonight I sneaked a Magnum from the freezer and noticed that
things in the freezer were a bit soft. Same thing had
happened earlier today - falling item had switched it off.

I think I'll tape over the switches tomorrow!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral