Forums
Posted By: BasHan Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 23rd Jun 2016 8:49am
Seeking info and photos of Birkenhead silver band and it's bandmaster,William Hoyle McEwan,between 1880 and 1910,anyone got any information,please ?
Their full title was Birkenhead Borough Silver Band

Conductors:-

1894 - R H Cole
1901 - Thomas Matthews
1902 - W Jenkins

They were playing at Tranmere Rovers new stadium in 1912.
Posted By: bert1 Re: Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 24th Jun 2016 5:09am
There appears to be very little information on the band, other than what DD found.
I haven't come across any as yet linking William with the band, not suggesting there isn't any.

You probably have the following brief information, it may help others who are looking.

William Hoyle McEwan, born, 1838/9, Limerick, Ireland, Died, Birkenhead, 1905.
Married, Margaret Galvin, Margaret died 1891, Birkenhead.

Remarried, Catherine Ann Evans, 1893, Toxteth Park.

Census info
1891, Hazel St, Birkenhead, Occupation, Professor of Music

1901, Borough Rd, Birkenhead, Musician.

1911, Pym St, His Widow and Children

In 1876, he must have been in India, a daughter, Charlotte was born there.
Posted By: jimbob Re: Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 24th Jun 2016 4:11pm
I have a photo somewhere of Tranmere Silver [Glean ?] band taken in the late 1920s. It is my own photo as my Father and Uncle where in the band at the time of the photo. Will dig it out and post it if any one is interested
Posted By: bert1 Re: Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 24th Jun 2016 5:38pm
The Tranmere Gleam Silver Prize Band,

is he in this one Jim, 1908

Attached picture phot9169.jpg
Posted By: bert1 Re: Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 25th Jun 2016 4:57am
The 1881 census has William Hoyle McEwan recorded as a pensioner, at 42 years old, with children born in India.

Ex Army,
William Moyle McEwan (Transcription Error),
Chelsea Pensioner.

Attached picture whm.PNG
Posted By: jimbob Re: Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 25th Jun 2016 2:02pm
Dad was born 1903. So it was a later time than that photo. Will dig it out and post it. By the way both he and my uncle served there time as shipwrights down the yard.
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Information about BIRKENHEAD'S Silver band - 13th Feb 2021 8:26am
Tranmere Gleam Band from the video posted by Bert.

Attached picture Tranmere Gleam Band.png
© Wirral-Wikiwirral