Forums
Posted By: Greenwood Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 14th Feb 2016 5:17pm
A friend has some old and rather battered solid silver forks, spoons etc that she was going to make into coat hooks,until I suggested that she might be better trying to get scrap value for them and making the hooks out of epns cutlery available easily through charity shops, car boot sales etc. These are not rare 'designer' things, but they are silver. Does anyone know a good place to take such things to get a fair price for them, please? Or would any local silversmiths be interested in buying them?
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 14th Feb 2016 5:44pm
https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/scrap-silver/

assuming it's hallmarked, which it will be if it's English, these people offer a decent price: 25p/gram. The current spot price is 35p. If he/she wants to weigh it in ounces, there are 28.3 g in an avoirdupois ounce.
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 14th Feb 2016 10:47pm
Still using ounces, eh? So not everything has gone over to grams, then! Interesting, thanks.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 14th Feb 2016 11:21pm
Originally Posted by Greenwood
Still using ounces, eh? So not everything has gone over to grams, then! Interesting, thanks.

Having been involved in the jewellery trade many years ago, I still think in ounces, but troy ounces; there are 31.1 grams to the troy ounce.
Posted By: Bekki Re: Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 15th Feb 2016 12:33am
Hi, I'd be willing to offer a fair price I'm after silver forks small spoons and large spoons for a jewellery project I have started.
Posted By: granny Re: Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 15th Feb 2016 12:59am
Give Bonhams of Chester a call. Best to be sure, as you might get a surprise. Antique silver could fetch more and when a silver plated teaspoon sells retail for £18 it's value is probably about £5 , It's worth finding out from a reliable source. I know that ships cutlery that I had until very recently, only EPNS were selling for £10 per item. Some were very battered.

Bonhams Chester
2 John's, St Johns Court, Vicar's Ln, Chester, Cheshire CH1 1QE

Phone:01244 313936

8.30am to 5pm
Posted By: Greenwood Re: Old silver cutlery - scrap value? - 16th Feb 2016 3:08pm
Ever felt like an eejit? She SAID they were solid silver, but turns out on closer inspection that most are epns. *sigh* However, the information given may well come in useful to someone at some point, so thank you to the people who responded.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral