Forums
Posted By: JulesSmuff Outsider thinking about moving to Birkenhead - 28th Jan 2016 11:53pm
Hi, everyone. So, I'm considering moving; what's the new area around Thorneycroft Ave. / Miner Street / Carringtone Avenue like? (Just off Laird street) Crime / yobs / burglaries / noise?

Thanks in advance!
Very difficult to say, in fairly recent times a lot of effort has gone into cleaning up the Upper Brassey St triangle but trouble persisted in the Dundonald/Methuen area - I've no idea what has happened in the last year.

Looking at crime stats, Rundle street seems to have some persistent crime last year CLICKY
Posted By: rocks Re: Outsider thinking about moving to Birkenhead - 29th Jan 2016 1:10am
this may help you decide

https://www.police.uk/merseyside/A3/crime/
Those stats are interesting - I've looked at the police stats for where I am currently, and it wouldn't feel like the numbers are what they actually are. Is the crime centred mainly on the shops around there?
I know Google Earth isn't up to date but I've just had a look at Thorneycroft Avenue on there, have a look yourself and decide whether you would like to live there, I'll keep my opinion to myself.
I would ask somebody who lives in the locality, peoples perception of an area rarely reflects the reality.I love Birkenhead warts and all and cant understand why people run it down and then admit they never go there.Welcome! hopefully to happy times.
Originally Posted by ludwigvan
I know Google Earth isn't up to date but I've just had a look at Thorneycroft Avenue on there, have a look yourself and decide whether you would like to live there, I'll keep my opinion to myself.

Check the year, as you aptly point out - it isn't up to date!
Posted By: granny Re: Outsider thinking about moving to Birkenhead - 29th Jan 2016 11:58am
Looks as if half the houses are boarded up. Possibly to be demolished in the not too distant future. They did that in Garrick Street, Liverpool . Sold the houses off cheap. People thought they'd get a good return or rehomed in new, rentable accommodation if the properties were compulsory purchased at a later date. Sadly it didn't work that way, but many a place was burnt and vandalised whilst waiting for the process to begin.

Isn't that near the red light area too ?

Its all been flattened and new houses built (and being built) as the original poster stated.

Its many years since the redlight district was that far over. It gets kicked out residential areas.
crazy, a hop over the mersey into the outskirts of liverpool and you can find 2x the bricks for the same price with a much lower crime rate
Jules! That is the reason stats are a load of b---.You can buy a house for a quid in Liverpool and yet I am surrounded by expat Scousers living on this side of the water.The reason the tunnel is loaded of a morning and evening is Scousers going to work and coming home not Wirralians making a living in Joe,s World. A gun licence would be an advantage but I hope sanity prevails and we don,t have to get you sectioned.
Im off now to feed a Scousers, Scouse cat while shes in Wales just up the road. You get what you pay for, count your blessings and move in.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral