Forums
Posted By: 59_Volts Owl telescopes - 1st Sep 2015 6:09pm
Owl telescopes, the tubular, usually bright blue, 20p coin accepting things that can be found all around Britain's coast, including the Wirral. These came to my attention the other day, as I was walking along the Seacombe promenade. I've never noticed them before because they've been there all my life. I took note of the label reading "Owl Telescopes Crewe Cheshire" and entered that into the internet, but it yielded no results. If anyone out there can tell me anything about these telescopes, who they were made by, were they came from then that would be great. Thanks! smile [Linked Image] P.S. I'm not sure if the image will display properly, I'm kind of new to this. smile
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Owl telescopes - 2nd Sep 2015 7:38pm
Do they still work ? One at west kirby. Seem to remember from years ago the view always looked poor and hazy...all the sea spray perhaps. Maybe they were an extension of what the butler saw machines . a nice piece of our heritage.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Owl telescopes - 3rd Sep 2015 4:53pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Do they still work ? One at west kirby. Seem to remember from years ago the view always looked poor and hazy...all the sea spray perhaps. Maybe they were an extension of what the butler saw machines . a nice piece of our heritage.

i presume so, never saw anyone emptying them though so some may be full of old 20p's, though in saying that i used to put 1p coins in and they worked. back when i was a scoundrelous youth
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Owl telescopes - 3rd Sep 2015 8:24pm
The surname of the owner was Howle and hence the Owl name.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Owl telescopes - 3rd Sep 2015 10:05pm
Originally Posted by j_demo
scoundrelous

What a marvellous word. grin
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Owl telescopes - 4th Sep 2015 7:59pm
Only info i could find crazy

The Owl Telescope was originally invented by Mr. Tawny Owl of Crewe in Cheshire, the eldest son of the Owl and the Pussycat. His mother was actually a second cousin of the Cheshire Cat on her mother's side; the renowned Crewe branchline of the family. His father was one of the Barnes Owls. The parents' romantic sea voyage and moonlit wedding were immortalized in verse by the writer and artist Edward Lear (1812 – 1888) who was a close friend of the couple.

Attached picture owl-telescope-02-gordon-mcleod.jpg
Posted By: 59_Volts Re: Owl telescopes - 5th Sep 2015 10:02am
Thanks for posting! I was just wondering if anyone knew anything more about these telescopes, I tested the blue one down by the derby pool (Harvster, pub) and it worked fine, although it did look as if the coin collection hatch had been painted over but it was kind of hard to tell. I noticed the coin-box was enscripted with the words "ESSEX ENGINEERING NELSON RD WANSTEAD LONDON. E.11 ENGLAND". When I typed this into the internet I found that " Essex Engneering" is a small 50- year-old family owned company employing about 35 people to make mechanical coin-boxes. I figured if they are using a small family owned company to supply the mechanisms for their telescopes then I don't think "Owl Telescopes" were a particularly big business.
Posted By: Habdab Re: Owl telescopes - 6th Sep 2015 7:13pm
What a pity you've suggested they may be packed with 20p (and 1p) coins. No doubt the local youth will now set about emptying them.

Truly scoundrelous behaviourhttps://www.wikiwirral.co.uk/forums/images/icons/default_dark/grin.gif
Posted By: Habdab Re: Owl telescopes - 6th Sep 2015 7:16pm
No idea what happened to my previous post, all that code was supposed to be a smiley face.

What a pity you've suggested they may be packed with 20p (and 1p) coins. No doubt the local youth will now set about emptying them.

Truly scoundrelous
© Wirral-Wikiwirral