Forums
Posted By: DeanoBirko Killing creeper weeds between bricks... - 14th Aug 2015 9:30am
The previous occupier of my house had creeper vines all over the back garden. The roots are really thick and its growing inbetween the brickwork of my back wall (Not the house).

Its forcing the cement out of the bricks and making the wall a bit unstable. I can see the roots go from the floor and reappear near the top of the wall so they must be right the way through.

Before repairing the wall, how do I kill the root. I want it completely dead.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Dean
Posted By: snowhite Re: Killing creeper weeds between bricks... - 14th Aug 2015 9:45am
Best thing to do is remove the vines, then spray the roots with a Glyposute based weed killer this will need to be done every now and again untill the roots give up and die.

Hope this helps .
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Killing creeper weeds between bricks... - 14th Aug 2015 10:37am
Drill holes in it, fill with a systemic weed killer and seal the holes.

Vines die fairly easily but an old one needs to be treated as a tree, the dosage needs to be large.

Drilling is much safer than spraying a large proportion of the foliage, which I hope you haven't removed. It's much easier to kill an active plant than a dormant one.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: Killing creeper weeds between bricks... - 14th Aug 2015 10:39am
Drill holes in it, fill with a systemic weed killer and seal the holes.

Vines die fairly easily but an old one needs to be treated as a tree, the dosage needs to be large.

Drilling is much safer than spraying a large proportion of the foliage, which I hope you haven't removed. It's much easier to kill an active plant than a dormant one.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Killing creeper weeds between bricks... - 14th Aug 2015 10:55am
If it has already been cut down. May need to wait for the root to start sprouting again and get a bit of leaf growth on it ---then give it a good spray with weedkiller

If you are taking wall down you may have to trace the root and cut back so its outside of the wall. Hopefully its soil to dig into.
Posted By: casper Re: Killing creeper weeds between bricks... - 16th Aug 2015 10:59am
Are you sure its not that Japanese weed stuff, sorry don't know the full name but watched a programme on tv it causes a lot of damage and is hard to eradicate.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral