Forums
Posted By: granny stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 6:53am
Has anyone got a stainless steel cooker who can advise on whether they mark easily , and how easy it is (or is not)to clean the outside of them ?

Tossing between stainless steel and black,in Belling or Leisure cookers. Any advise welcome, as whole palaver is keeping me from my sleep.

Thank you.
Posted By: Tatey Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 7:03am
Stainless Steel is a soft metal & scratches easily as I know from my own hob. The oven front is not so easy to scratch.
Posted By: granny Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 11:08am
Didn't think about it being a soft metal. Thanks Tatey. Depending on the quality of the cooker, I suppose it could be pretty awful.
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 11:11am
Its rare that oven front metal shows signs of wear but on some models the printing wears off if cleaning is aggressive (which there is no need for).

Bright steel finish will show marks more than a brushed finish.

I wouldn't let the material bother you, just choose on aesthetics (and blame me later).
Posted By: granny Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 11:15am
I doubt there will be any 'aggressive' cleaning going on, just don't want greasy little finger marks all over.

Broad shoulders DD. If it should be wrong, you'd better duck !
Posted By: diggingdeeper Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 11:19am
Some are prone to finger marks (I'm backing out rapidly), the brushed ones that feel rough are the main culprits, I'm not sure if the better ones have a protective varnish or clear enamel over them but they look brushed but feel smooth.
Posted By: granny Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 11:23am
Maybe they are the ones the class as 'silver' rather than stainless steel.

Think I'll go black. You know what they say ? "once black never turn back" wink
Posted By: Mark Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 1:14pm
Originally Posted by granny
I doubt there will be any 'aggressive' cleaning going on, just don't want greasy little finger marks all over.

Finger marks and streaks from cleaning.

My Ex hated the Stainless Steel hob with a passion.
Wiping with a wet cloth drys streaky, its worse than a window.

Do your homework.
Take close note to what's glass and metal.
Posted By: snowhite Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 1:42pm
Originally Posted by granny

laffin

Cif stainless steel spray cleaner is good Granny.
Just spray over and wipe till clean with a warm damp cloth.Great for sinks and taps etc.

Attached picture 226770_418149754923974_1272077724_n.jpg
Posted By: starakita Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 1:59pm
Baby oil can be used but only need a small amount
Posted By: granny Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 8:56pm
Thanks everyone.

Mark, I take your comment seriously and it would appear that nobody really loves the stainless steel.

Also thanks for your handy little tips Star and Snowy.

Today I asked a person who makes kitchens, his answer was much the same and he doesn't really recommend them. So decision has been made.
happy

Posted By: snowhite Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 9:12pm
Best thing to do Granny, every time you use your cooker,just give it a wipe over with a damp cloth.
Posted By: granny Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 9:37pm
We have to remember that I will not be the only one who uses it. That's the problem !!!
Posted By: snowhite Re: stainless steel cookers - 23rd May 2015 9:40pm
Put a memo up saying......please clean me after you use me lol.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: stainless steel cookers - 30th May 2015 12:06pm
A lot of 'stainless steel simply isn't.

'Stainless steel finish' means its made of plastic with a surface which resembles stainless steel closely. I was looking at a microwave oven - allegedly stainless steel but was actually ordinary steel coated with this finish. It was a VERY good imitation however, and probably would have lasted as long as the oven without anyone being the wiser.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral