Forums
Posted By: plf12 Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 9:27am
Hi,

Could anyone give me advice on how to fit central heating in a first floor flat with concrete floors and solid walls? Ideally I would want the pipes to be hidden so I'm looking for the best option.

Thanks
Posted By: Dilly Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 9:38am
Behind skirting boards?
Posted By: plf12 Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 9:46am
Hi Dilly,

Thanks. How far would the skirting boards need to come out of wall? I'm a complete novice at this kind of thing and at the moment it's the only thing stopping me from buying the flat.
Posted By: Mark Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 9:54am
You can buy skirting boards that have gaps behind them. There more expensive than normal.

You can put the micro pipes in trunking above the skirting boards.

It can be done.
I would say it's probably easier than lifting floorboards.

Your best getting a professional to fit the whole system correctly.

Try this click me
Posted By: Dilly Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 10:13am
I'm no builder but would think behind the skirtings would be your best option. Give Ianyam a pm on here, good honest plumber and well recommended on wiki.
Posted By: plf12 Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 10:45am
Thanks very much for your help.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 11th May 2015 7:08pm
Take a look at pendock profiles on the net, They do purpose made pipe boxings. Needs proper planning around door openings. or run at ceiling level and drop down to rads.

http://www.pendock.co.uk/Home/Home.aspx?id=3

Alternatively-- electrical heating.
Posted By: venice Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 12th May 2015 11:14am
It might be worth while doing a it of research on the use of micro pipes for central heating. I wanted them years ago for a solid floor place and the plumber said they were a nightmare after a while in hardish water areas. Something about sludge or scaling or something.We ended up with a slightly bigger bore.(Of course materials change and different plumbers have different experiences.)
Posted By: plf12 Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 13th May 2015 7:29am
Originally Posted by venice
It might be worth while doing a it of research on the use of micro pipes for central heating. I wanted them years ago for a solid floor place and the plumber said they were a nightmare after a while in hardish water areas. Something about sludge or scaling or something.We ended up with a slightly bigger bore.(Of course materials change and different plumbers have different experiences.)

Hi Venice,

Thanks for your advice. Where did you have to put the pipes?
Posted By: dustymclean Re: Central Heating with Concrete Floor - 13th May 2015 9:04am
The rebate for the pipes is precut into the skirt. You will have to replace all you skirting for a match which will deliver no perceptible difference than a normal skirt, Google "rebate skirting".
© Wirral-Wikiwirral