Forums
Posted By: casper which paint - 8th Feb 2015 2:02pm
Started decorating, I usually use gloss paint, but it takes ages drying and yellows after a bit, just wondering if anyone has used the water based silk or gloss paint and if they are anygood.
Posted By: chriskay Re: which paint - 8th Feb 2015 2:33pm
I've found the water based gloss to be pretty good; quick drying and odourless, but you won't get quite the same degree of gloss as with oil based. I've usually preferred the satin/silk finishes anyway and for those, the water based product is good.
Posted By: Salmon Re: which paint - 8th Feb 2015 2:45pm
We use vinyl silk finish rather than gloss. Looks nice and easier to use plus less horrible smell. Lasts very well.
Posted By: Mark Re: which paint - 8th Feb 2015 2:49pm
You need two coats min.
Leaves streaks.

I asked a professional decorating team after i had a bad experience with it and they confirmed stay away at all costs..

It has its uses if your allergic to the oder from the normal paint.

Also its not a robust as gloss it wears off say on a banister pretty quick. I wouldn't use it if i had the choice.

My feedback anyway.
Posted By: casper Re: which paint - 8th Feb 2015 6:21pm
Thanks folks,a difference of opinions exactly the pros and cons I was thinking about,torn between the two still, but thanks again for the input smile
Posted By: clung22 Re: which paint - 8th Feb 2015 7:22pm
Hi.val spar in b&q is the best water based paint out there it 100percent acrylic all oil based gloss will soon be out lawed by the eu.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral