Forums
Posted By: Gold_Moon Cold call scam... - 18th Dec 2014 5:19pm
I've just been cold called by a man claiming to be working for something called "The Industrial Workers Register". And I was lucky to get that much out of him, "machine-gun mouth" wasn't in it!

He asked me if I'd ever worked in a factory, (I have and still do,) then said I could be "eligible for a compensation payment, because factories in the 90's didn't provide their workers with the proper health and safety from day 1." (Oh aye?)

I would need to have worked in factories "for a minimum of 5 years, and the payment would be £5,000 upwards."

(Ooo! I tell you, I haven't been that excited since I won the Nigerian Lottery! party)

He asked me bunch of questions, my age, how long I'd worked in factories, etc. Quite benign, so I answered... but I had smelt the proverbial large rodent, (no such thing as a free lunch, right?) so I'm asking "Google" about "The Industrial Workers Register" as the call winds down. I'm told to expect a callback from his "secretary" in a couple of minutes, and the call ends. I put the phone down, and lookie what I find on "Google"!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18600525

Needless to say, the trip to Harrod's is off! wink

But I'd like to know, what's in it for them? Anyone know?
Posted By: Mark Re: Cold call scam... - 18th Dec 2014 6:33pm
Data they will pass what they can on to others.

you answered and played ball so your a hot lead, not just you but your number.

Be very aware and warn anyone else in your house to be wary also.

Next will be a pro that will try and such you in.

p.s. good find.
Posted By: stanb Re: Cold call scam... - 19th Dec 2014 6:23pm
Must have been the same guy that called me yesterday.Said I could be in line for between 1 and 10grand.Asked him who he was working for and he kept saying he was trying to help me.I said I never asked for his help but he was persistent. Hung up in the end,but what was annoying was the fact they sound so plausible. Getting a bit cheesed off now.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cold call scam... - 19th Dec 2014 6:41pm
Its a sad fact that some of us more gentile well mannered folk have to learn to say "F*** Off" now and again. I think I managed about 15 years without swearing--that was until PPI payment phone calls. If they knock on your door rather than phoning you can add to "F*** Off" "I remove your right of implied access to my property" After which they are committing a criminal offence if they don't
If being phoned-- just stop answering any questions--just remain silent put your hand over the mouthpiece so they cant hear you breathing--they usually just mutter and put phone down or just let them ramble on before adding the "F*** Off"
Posted By: BossFan Re: Cold call scam... - 20th Dec 2014 10:27am
If I don't recognise the number or it is withheld I don't answer the phone. You can always Google the number after to see who it is.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Cold call scam... - 20th Dec 2014 12:16pm
Originally Posted by fish5133
Its a sad fact that some of us more gentile well mannered folk have to learn to say "F*** Off" now and again.

All very well, but what about the less well mannered Jewish folk? confused
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cold call scam... - 20th Dec 2014 3:26pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by fish5133
Its a sad fact that some of us more gentile well mannered folk have to learn to say "F*** Off" now and again.

All very well, but what about the less well mannered Jewish folk? confused

Yes I made a right genitals of that mixing my ile with my eel
Posted By: sonylegs Re: Cold call scam... - 20th Dec 2014 8:34pm
Get yourself a Truecall Blocker, highly recommended,
http://www.truecall.co.uk/care.aspx

Attached picture truecall.jpg
Attached picture truecall2.jpg
Posted By: Mark Re: Cold call scam... - 21st Dec 2014 5:17pm
True Call from £99 omg

These Business have an obligation to remove your number from there database.

"Before I answer any of your questions"
1. I would like you to remove my number from your database.
2. Where did you get my number from.
3. If you call again i shall report your number.

My friends mum says can you call back at 3pm when im not busy smack

Some people just don't get it.

If they ask for you by name
Ask who is calling and what is it concerning.
Do not knowledge your name.

"Before I answer any of your questions"
1. I would like you to remove my number from your database.
2. Where did you get my number from.
3. If you call again i shall report your number.
HANGUP or F off lol

You have to break the circle !! or they will just keep calling.
And you wont unless you ask to be removed from there database.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral