Forums
Posted By: Alonso Smart meters. Poor mobile phone reception - 1st Apr 2014 10:21pm
Hi folks,
I guy called today to fit one of these smart meters on behalf of first utility. I thought it might keep costs down and first utility supplied it free in view of the fact that we stayed with them and are on a fixed deal until 2016. The electrician told us that he was only getting a week mobile signal at our property. Funny that as nobody who visits us ever complains about their phone reception
We live in Moreton and not too far from where a mast was erected close by Tesco's Express. Anyway the guy told us he would inform our energy supplier and left it at that. He did say that he regularly has this problem in Cheshire but not had problems in Moreton.
Just thought I'd ask if anybody has encountered this problem? I will just keep sending the meter readings via my PC, but if the technology to make life easier is available it's just a shame we can't avail ourselves of it. Moreton is hardly way out in the sticks. Lol!
Posted By: Tatey Re: Smart meters. Poor mobile phone reception - 2nd Apr 2014 8:04am
I believe that my smart meters send the information through the power lines & have nothing to do with mobile signals.
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Smart meters. Poor mobile phone reception - 2nd Apr 2014 10:08am
Whilst on this subject, what about smart gas meters? How do they get information back? Are both meters connected? Or do gas meters have batteries in them for a radio link?

We have 'dumb' meters, and I'd love to get shot of the chore of reading them, but given their positions, anticipate problems with wireless connections.

I was told that a government standard was to be imposed so that you could change supplier at the drop of a hat without having to change the meters, but this doesn't of course preclude more than one method being used.

Posted By: stu6278 Re: Smart meters. Poor mobile phone reception - 2nd Apr 2014 10:56am
It depends what mobile network the smart meter is using. It won't necessarily be using the mast by the Tesco Express if that belongs to a different provider.
Posted By: Nigel Re: Smart meters. Poor mobile phone reception - 2nd Apr 2014 4:10pm
The smart "Gas meter" is paired to the electricity meter by bluetooth as a means of data exchange. At a certain time of night the electricity meter sends all the readings for gas and electric via mobile phone signal. essentially it is the electricity meter that does all the work. And yes, the gas meter has batteries which are designed to outlast the meter. If the batteries on the gas meter go flat that means no gas!
Posted By: Alonso Re: Smart meters. Poor mobile phone reception - 2nd Apr 2014 5:17pm
Thanks for replying. The electrician told me that he had tested the strength of all providers and none of them were sufficient in signal strength to do the job properly. So I don't know where that leaves us. Cheers!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral