Forums
Posted By: Hannahirby Playing tennis or badminton - 20th Feb 2014 12:19pm
Hi, me and my partner would like to play tennis or badminton on a weekday evening or a Saturday. We are by no means experts but love sports. Having just spoken to the tennis centre in bidston with £22 pounds a court this seems a bit steep to me does anyone know anywhere which costs less? Thanks
Posted By: lansyp Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 20th Feb 2014 2:29pm
Try the oval am sure it will be cheaper
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 20th Feb 2014 5:10pm
Tennis courts in Park in irby are free--- but outdoors! Badminton -west kirby concourse?
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 23rd Feb 2014 2:10pm
I had many happy years playing badminton, I worked at Vauxhall and was persuaded to join their badminton club and had many happy hours playing there both in the Chester and Birkenhead leagues. My advice to you is to join a local club - in this way you will have specific nights on which you can play, you will have a wider range of opponents and never be stuck with having to book a court at a leisure centre and never have to scratch round among your friends for someone to play on a night you are available. In addition to this most clubs are glad to get new members. it is ideal for a husband and wife to join together as most of the games played are doubles and you have a ready made mixed doubles pairing.
So to sum up find a club locally and join it straight away and enjoy many happy hours of fun. Here is a link to Wirral Badminton so pick a club from the list here and get on the phone Now! Enjoy yourselves. smile
Wirral Badminton
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 23rd Feb 2014 2:15pm
Birkenhead Park has outdoor tennis courts I think are free, maybe
take your own racket and balls

good advice from goodoldphil

I used to love playing table tennis
Posted By: goodoldphil Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 23rd Feb 2014 5:25pm
Referring to my earlier post, I gave a link to a site that is all about match competitions - this is only so you could have a look and get the names of some local clubs.It is not all about matches and competitions, on club nights all the members engage in friendly competition and there are players of all abilities taking part so you should never be out of your depth. smile
Posted By: j_demo Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 23rd Feb 2014 11:32pm
Harrison park down at new brighton/Wallasey has some nice courts but the ones me and my friends ALWAYS use are the ones opposite morrissons/subway. Over the road, up the steps there's 2 bowling greens and 4 tennis courts. Lovely smooth surfaces and nice tight nets. Unless you specifically want indoor?
Posted By: 8HBob Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 25th Feb 2014 4:43pm
We play badminton on Tuesday nights at 20.30 at Irby Methodist Church. Cost is £2.00 per person & you don't need to be religious.

Bob.
Posted By: Gibbo Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 26th Feb 2014 10:33am
Try the court at Oxton. They do a trial night on a Monday or Tuesday.

http://www.birkenheadltc.org/
Posted By: Hannahirby Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 10th Mar 2014 11:04pm
Thanks everyone for your comments will look at joining a club.
Posted By: JaseB Re: Playing tennis or badminton - 13th Mar 2014 10:18am
Hi Hannah

I too was looking at joining a club, and since got in touch with Heswall Tennis club.

They have an open weekend 28th March through to 30th of which they are holding certain activities on each day.

I did contact their secretary/coach to let them know that I will be attending, however their joining costs are an initial £100 payment and £21.08 monthly going forward.

This might be slightly different if you fall on another scale of fees and not the scale for an old fart like me! blush

Jason
© Wirral-Wikiwirral