Forums
Posted By: derekdwc Translate some music - 15th Feb 2014 12:38pm
Can anybody read this piece of music and tell me where it is in one of Handel's compositions. Came across it as a suggestion that Handel filched it from an old Cheshire song or vice-versa
Sadly I can't read music or it was never taught at school

Attached picture Handel.jpg
Posted By: Cobby Re: Translate some music - 15th Feb 2014 7:55pm
Not from any Handel work I'm familiar with and I don't recognise the melody at all, though he did write a huge amount!

eta it's also not really Handel's style, it has quite a 'folky' feel to it
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Translate some music - 15th Feb 2014 9:08pm
Handel visited Parkgate quite a few times on his way to Ireland

cobby please read pages 508 and 509 which may help you further
A Glossary of Words used in the County of Cheshire
Posted By: Cobby Re: Translate some music - 16th Feb 2014 7:48am
Well, that certainly confirms the folk origin of the tune! Sorry still can't help identifying the actual piece which Handel supposedly used the tune for. It has always been the case that composers "borrow" melodies - especially folk tunes - and adapt and develop them in their own works.

Handel's connection with Parkgate is well known, Parkgate being one of the main ports for the crossing to Dublin at that time, where Handel conducted the first ever performance of Messiah.
Posted By: granny Re: Translate some music - 17th Feb 2014 3:58pm
To me, it has a similarity to Londonderry Air. Surprisingly enough, having followed up , the lyrics were written by W.G Rothery, who also wrote lyrics for Handel!

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0rothery%20londonderry%20air&f=false

At the moment, can't find anymore but someone maybe able to tune into the music you have illustrated, and see what they think.
Posted By: Cobby Re: Translate some music - 18th Feb 2014 4:15pm
So interesting how different perceptions can be! I could hear it straight away as a rousing Engish folk song - almost like a drinking song in style (which would tie with Handel's supposed use of it as a march). Could even envisage a troupe of morris dancers giving it some wellie!
Posted By: granny Re: Translate some music - 18th Feb 2014 7:23pm
Ha ha! You are probably right Cobby as I got rid of my piano only months ago and have sort of done this in my head.
I thought 'march' time was half signature time which would be 2/4 time.
The Londonderry Air is also C signature time, but you obviously know a whole lot more about Handel than myself.
Somehow it seemed to sound (in my head) like a harmony. As it is only in the 'treble clef' would it have been written for an instrument other than piano.
Any more ideas ?
Posted By: Cobby Re: Translate some music - 18th Feb 2014 8:42pm
Yes, I did it in my head too - so the idea of different perceptions is even more valid.

I certainly couldn't ever claim to be an expert on Handel, just someone who's spent their life singing, playing, listening to and reading about all kinds of music.

Time signature is only half the story - the other important piece of information which the Derek's extract doesn't tell us is speed. So our piece could be the rousing, exciting quick march speed, but could equally be a slower, more melancholy piece along the lines of Londonderry Air. But somehow to me the melody lends itself better to the faster pace. I'll try and spend a bit of time to make some sound files to demonstrate the difference (that way Derek can get to hear his melody too!)
Posted By: granny Re: Translate some music - 19th Feb 2014 7:29am
derek...is there any more of this piece of sheet music? Is there a full page with words like, 'andante', 'allegro', 'moderato' on the top left just before the written music begins?

Look forward to your follow up Cobby. Could be interesting.

Posted By: derekdwc Re: Translate some music - 19th Feb 2014 9:31am
Originally Posted by derekdwc
Handel visited Parkgate quite a few times on his way to Ireland

cobby please read pages 508 and 509 which may help you further
A Glossary of Words used in the County of Cheshire

Granny that's all I've got,click link
SWADDLEDIDAF (from word of day)
Posted By: granny Re: Translate some music - 19th Feb 2014 11:08am
Did click the link, but don't know what we are supposed to be looking for, let alone what to click once on the link. All that is visible is 'eggs' of one sort or another. Is the yolk on us?
Please explain, rather than me clicking on it for the rest of the day, in pursuit of happiness. smile
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Translate some music - 19th Feb 2014 5:35pm
click the link then click on 'A Glossary of Words used in the County of Cheshire ' then click the .pdf on the left to view it
the info is on pages 508 and 509

click will take you eggsactly to it
Posted By: granny Re: Translate some music - 19th Feb 2014 9:09pm
Got it, thanks.
Looks like the Derry Air has done an egg flip and dropped off the podium.
After reading all that, it could be like a needle in a haystack.
There is still mention of an 'air',and that is quite encouraging, as I had not read any of it before my own interpretation, which admittedly might be a bit cracked!
Still looking forward to hear what Cobby comes up with.

Word of the day laugh
© Wirral-Wikiwirral