Forums
Posted By: NettyMc Birkenhead Boxers - 22nd Jan 2014 12:13am
Hi All.
I wonder if anyone can shed a bit of light on this topic of conversation:
Has anyone out there heard of two Birkenhead Boxers by the name of Patrick and Joseph or James McManus??

I am keen to find out if two of our extended family were Boxers!
Thank you in advance. smile

xx
Posted By: bert1 Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 22nd Jan 2014 8:41am
I don't have any knowledge on the above named, the best known Birkenhead boxer was Pat Mcateer, also his brother Billy and cousin Les boxed.
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 22nd Jan 2014 10:17am
What about Robbie Davis..
Posted By: NettyMc Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 22nd Jan 2014 12:17pm
Thanks so much for your replies.
I know about thefighting McAteers who went to Johnny Campbell's Gym.
I heard it from an elderly family member, who recalled two McManus family who were linked to Boxing, the old doll is as bright as a button, so I thought I would ask out on here.

Recently, another family member found an old photo of a young man rigged out in his boxing gear, its a great photo, but sadly no name on it!
It must have been a very special photo, as it was kept amongst precious photos in the family photo album, looks about 1930s-40s.

Id really love to know who he is!

xxx

Posted By: _Ste_ Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 22nd Jan 2014 1:28pm
Netty scan the photo and put it up if you can as some of our elder members may recognize him.
Posted By: NettyMc Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 22nd Jan 2014 4:25pm
Does anyone recognize this Boxer?

Photo looks to be taken around 1940-50s . This photo was in a collection of family photographs.

Would love to know who he is??

Thanks in advance.
xx

Attached picture photo 3 mcmanus fam 2.JPG
Posted By: Salmon Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 24th Jan 2014 7:19am
Possibly Wally Thom
Posted By: NettyMc Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 26th Jan 2014 12:52am
Anyone else recognize the Boxer??

Thank you,
xx
Posted By: BandyCoot Re: Birkenhead Boxers - 26th Jan 2014 10:20am
It's not Wally Thom. Birkenhead Boxers meet in the RNA Club Park Road East, next door to the RBL. They would probably love to see the photo and will be able to tell you anything you wish to know about the McManus family. There were a lot of Birkenhead boxers, very handy fighters indeed, in Birkenhead before the 50's. The Beatty's ran a boxing club by the old Childrens Hospital, the MacAteers are a given. Saw Pat Mac and Wally Thom in an exhibition bout as a kid, magnificent. Anyway, try the RNA club you will get a response there that's for sure. Billy and Les Mac still go in there for a drink by the way.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral