Forums
Posted By: Snodvan Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 7:33pm
An odd question !!

I have been trying to sort out the numerous keys that hang on hooks in front of my desks (about 50 keys). Some 75% I have identified, a number are clearly junk -- but there are a few that baffle me.

One of these looks to me to be a car key of some type - but it does not match any car I have now or any that I have had in the past.

The key has a logo on the handle and I AM HOPING that some kind person, maybe from the AutoWirral group, will recognise the logo and can give me a clue as to which make of car it could come from.

The key is obviously new. No scratches etc on the blade or handle. On one side is a paper/ plastic "pull tab" that I presume activates a battery built into the handle. The tab is still in place so it has not been activated.

Cheers

Snod

Attached picture EPSON004.JPG
Attached picture EPSON005.JPG
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 7:43pm
Reminds me of one of those devices that warms your keyhole! to get rid of any ice. Pull out the tab, press the button and see if it gets warm or hot.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 7:51pm
Zip

Nope. All that happens when the tab is pulled out is that a small red LED light comes on the handle alongside the keyshaft. The battery in there must be tiny anyway and could not deliver enough amps to warm a key

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 7:56pm
I used to have a key that warmed up, it died in the end. Cup of hot water was quicker anyway.
Ok, is the key magnetic?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 7:58pm
Not magnetic - plated brass from the look of it

Snod
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 8:04pm
Well, I give up. Hope someone else can be more of help.
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 8:08pm
I have just used Tineye to do a search for that "wave" logo on the key - no hits.

There MUST be some reason why a brand new key like that was hanging on a hook in front of my desk! Been there around a year at least I am sure.

Snod
Posted By: mikeeb Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 8:08pm
I cannot find a marque that ties in with that logo anywhere
Posted By: ZipperClub Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 8:10pm
crook lock?
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 8:38pm
Key shank is 30mm long ie normal car ignition key length and much longer than on any Krookloc type device. Anyway, I do not have one of those.

Infuriating

I will take it to the locksmiths in Moreton tomorrow just in case he can offer an help. They are good folk and knowledgeable

Snod
Posted By: Salmon Re: Identify a key - 6th Jan 2014 10:24pm
If it is hanging on a hook on your desk could it be for a filing cabinet or wall safe?
Posted By: TheDr Re: Identify a key - 7th Jan 2014 12:13am
From the shape I think you might be looking for a padlock, possibly a solid looking silver type, quite chunky with squared off edges.

The key hole won't be an open hole but will have a disk type spinning cover over it that you have to line up using the end of the key as you put it in.

Posted By: Dilly Re: Identify a key - 7th Jan 2014 9:21am
If it's has a battery I can't see it being for a padlock or filing cabinet,
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identify a key - 7th Jan 2014 12:13pm
The battery is only a small button cell and powers an LED light that points to where the key slot would be. That implies the key is likely to be used in areas of poor illumination.

Dr - that sort of light would be very unusual for a padlock and I do not have any big padlocks anyway.

Off to the locksmith soon to see what they say

Snod
Posted By: derekdwc Re: Identify a key - 7th Jan 2014 12:20pm
Perhaps for one of your 2 wheeled vehicles
Posted By: Snodvan Re: Identify a key - 7th Jan 2014 12:35pm
Dr - Derek

YES YES YES

Problem solved - and TheDr, genius as ever, was correct. It is the spare key to a very heavy padlock used in conjunction with a heavy chain to secure my motorbike to a ground anchor in the garage.

Having said above that I was "off to the locksmiths" I decided to go on the motorbike because it is not a bad day out there today. Soon as I took the bike keys out of the safe I keep them in ----- THERE was a key on the bunch just like that I have been pondering about. Not quite such a fancy version ie it does not have a built in light, but obviously the same key.

So, thank you folks for your thoughts. I can now carry on with my key-labelling job. Only about another 30 keys to go. Most of those are small keys and will be junk ie they will be keys to filing cabinets, suitcases and trivial padlocks that went for scrap years ago. Some will also be for cars/ petrol filler caps etc that have similarly passed into oblivion.

Cheers

Snod

Posted By: j_demo Re: Identify a key - 7th Jan 2014 1:50pm
only just seen this now but i was 99.9999% it was a padlock/bike lock key just from the shape of it.

theDr seemed to get there before me.

ah well, glad you got it sorted
© Wirral-Wikiwirral