Forums
I have my my dad's air rifle and it was as good as new but has been in the shed outside and now has a bit of rust on the barrel, nothing serious. Does anyone know the best way to clean the outside of the barrel to get rid of the rust speckles without doing too much damage?

Attached picture image.jpg
Attached picture image.jpg
link
I just wanted something more specific to the item, not a link to how to remove rust from metal skillet, or using potato and soap to remove rust from any item.If Iit was meant to be helpful thanks , but otherwise don't send a link with 'how to remove rust from metal' as a google search.
Just took a pic of my gun, I`ll let you know tomorrow how I get on Edd.

Attached picture IMG_0030.JPG
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Best way to clean Diana mod1 early 50s air rifle - 29th Dec 2013 9:44am
As long as the pitting isn't too deep, try something like this:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bisley-GU...air-/160866480481?_trksid=p2054897.l4276

Gently rub the barrel down with fine wire wool first to get rid of the surface crud, then use the blueing. For the little money involved it's worth a try.
Thanks Pinz, going to look for some 0000 grade wire wool.
can you still get the slugs/pellets for them? Lead been banned for us fisherman. Great days trying to shoot rats down the River Fender--oh what horrible kids we were-dont think we ever got one though. Gave it up after seeing someone shoot a beautiful owl with one
Looking at your picture, MerseyMan, I'd class that as heavily corroded. You will need something more than 0000 wire wool. My suggestion would be a rust remover, maybe from a car shop, then a thorough de-greasing before trying the Bisley blue. One problem is that the gun was never blued in the first place, rather, it was chemically blacked and so you will end up with a mis-match. I think you can get cold blacking products.
@fish5133, yes you can still get lead pellets. (better not shoot fish with them I guess). wink
You could try this.
http://www.instructables.com/id/Removing-Rust-with-Citric-Acid/
Take it to the gunsmiths in the Port they will get it looking new again.
Originally Posted by MerseyMan
I have my my dad's air rifle and it was as good as new but has been in the shed outside and now has a bit of rust on the barrel, nothing serious. Does anyone know the best way to clean the outside of the barrel to get rid of the rust speckles without doing too much damage?
Looks like a 1950s/60s Diana cork gun to me

pm or ring me mate
Alright mate hope you're alright. It fired darts. .177 I think. This model was produced in the early 50's which tallies with my dads age. Will get hold of you later mate.
Don't waste your money on blueing kits, they all work ok, the gun will look good then the blueing will come off on your hands or a cloth when you wipe it. Proper bluing is Hot blueing using many chemicals. If it was me i would just keep it oiled with an oily cloth and the rust won't get any worse. Or if your intent on getting it blued, either go see eddie jackson in the port or better still contact colin molloy at manchester air guns, it would cost about £40 to reblue.

It should fire .177 lead pellets and darts as you say, don't bother with darts, just get some cheap lead pellets and enjoy it for what it is a tin can basher.
Nice gun!! Had a Webley as a kid, still got it somewhere but not sure where. If you get stuck give us a shout my dad will know what to do.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral