Forums
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 11:07am
Anyone see the planes/objects/debris(?) over Wirral at around 10:45-10:50 and 11:05 today? (West to East)

I took some pics and will upload for you guys to take a look.

My first thought was planes, but can planes go in tandem formation? Also, the trails looks a little odd on them.

But then I thought it might be something breaking up while entering our atmosphere.

Just had another look outside and saw another following the exact same path.

Maybe a commercial/military flightpath?

Perhaps some of you aviation buffs might know?
Posted By: golfvr Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 11:21am
didn't see anything
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 11:32am
Apologies for bad quality, mobile phone camera frown

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This one about 10 minutes later.
[Linked Image]

If it was just one I wouldn't have thought anything about it.
I thought it was just odd to have 3 in a row so close (IMO) together smile

EDIT: This may have come off a little more 'beardy weirdy UFO man' than I would have liked LOL
Posted By: golfvr Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 11:51am
awesome that
Posted By: Cobby Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 12:36pm
Probably all following one of the main transatlantic flight corridors, with the different planes at very different altitudes. Wallasey is the site of a "VOR" radio beacon for air traffic guidance, that's why you see so many high level vapour trails as planes from all over Europe pass over Wirral. Its called the Wallasey VOR, though the beacon is actually on farmland between Saughall Massie and West Kirby - it's the round blob at the end of the track here http://binged.it/1bTBfOb (I vaguely recall it was originally on the roof of the water tower in Liscard, but I might have dreamed that one!)
Posted By: Nighteyes Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 2:03pm
Always wondered what the was, you can see it from Birkenhead Road and no it hasn't always been there that's why I paid attention to it
Posted By: granny Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 5:07pm
I saw similar about 3 years ago, driving towards Chester. At the time it was thought to be meteortite debris. Dont know if thatwas right or wrong.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 5:53pm
Originally Posted by Cobby
Probably all following one of the main transatlantic flight corridors, with the different planes at very different altitudes. Wallasey is the site of a "VOR" radio beacon for air traffic guidance, that's why you see so many high level vapour trails as planes from all over Europe pass over Wirral. Its called the Wallasey VOR, though the beacon is actually on farmland between Saughall Massie and West Kirby - it's the round blob at the end of the track here http://binged.it/1bTBfOb (I vaguely recall it was originally on the roof of the water tower in Liscard, but I might have dreamed that one!)

I think it's planes following the same flight path. The transmitter used to be in a brick hut in the field opposite the Leasowe Children's Hospital. It had a morse repeater which sent out .-- .- .-.. or W A L standing for Wallasey. The planes homed in and followed the signal before turning over the Wirral coast to wherever they were going. You used to be able to pick the transmission up on an ordinary wireless or radio on long wave.
Posted By: Capt_America Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 6:09pm
http://morse-code.eu/m/eJxjZJSTYwh39AEAAzQBIw==

Hope this works!
Posted By: granny Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 6:53pm
The ones I saw were falling to the earth. Very pretty and glistening in the sun. Could they be the same? These pictures look the same.
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 7:00pm
That would explain it smile

Isn't there meant to be a minimum separation distance between 2 aircraft, both horizontally and vertically?

I know it is very hard to judge what height each of them was at, but it stayed that formation pretty much from west to east. Given they were at similar heights, those first two look awfully close don't they? Or am I just wrong and the inflight separation is in the hundreds of feet?

EDIT: Reading this;
http://www.pilotfriend.com/training/flight_training/nav/airways.htm
it says:
"..in general, air traffic controllers and pilots are required to maintain a horizontal distance of 5 nautical miles between 2 aircraft flying at the same altitude."

Now if that is a general rule with only a little flexibility, and the fact they looked to be at a similar altitude (from the ground at least), they do not look to be 5 nautical miles apart (5.755 normal miles to us land lubbers).

As I said, I can't ever recall seeing 2 planes on the exact same flight path within such a short time frame, let alone 3.

(Complete guesswork by an utter simpleton, with no aviation knowledge btw) wink
Posted By: rhoobarb2002 Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 7:04pm
Originally Posted by granny
The ones I saw were falling to the earth. Very pretty and glistening in the sun. Could they be the same? These pictures look the same.

Planes or not, the light reflection from them was quite bright, obviously planes fly overhead all the time (which I just ignore), but these were brighter than normal which was what made me actually stop to look at them in the first place.
Posted By: granny Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 10th Dec 2013 8:18pm
Try this, there are a few reports with todays date from various locations world wide.

www.weatherwatch.co.nz/content/meteor-over-northern-nz
Posted By: granny Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 12th Dec 2013 11:55am
Just found this . Have a look at the video from Germany posted this week. Pretty scary shocked
Could answer your question , rhoobarb. Maybe more than one.

www.thedailysaucer.com/live-ufo-updates/
Posted By: j_demo Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 12th Dec 2013 1:19pm
yeh i seen them, the trails don't look like normal aircraft vapour trails

wish i could provide an answer but i'm still searching for one myself
Posted By: Nomad Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 12th Dec 2013 9:18pm
Due to advances in aviation technology, such as TCAS - traffic control avoidance system, minimum vertically and horizontal separation distances have been reduced.

If they belong to the same airline and not carrying "self loading cargo" (passengers) then then can be a lot closer.

If you are curious about what plane is currently flying over head then check out this site

http://www.flightradar24.com

Nomad
Posted By: Excoriator Re: Flying (Falling?) Objects Over Wirral - 12th Dec 2013 10:10pm
I saw them too. They were definitely aircraft coming from North America - probably to the same destination in Europe.

They will have been at different heights - assuming ATC is doing its job - but you can't see that easily from the ground.

I think these days the pilots tend to load up the plane's computer with its complete route, sit back and watch it do its job. They rely on GPS rather than VOR, but I expect old habits die hard, and the routes probably haven't changed since GPS was invented. A VOR station is still a convenient way point.

I used to watch them when I was at work as I waited for the train at Bebington station (there was often plenty of time for watching!). On a cold clear morning, you can see dozens in the sky at once.

One of the other things I used to see regularly at this time of year is the International Space Station. You can see it at either dawn or dusk if its flying over the southern part of the UK. NASA publish information as to when its visible here http://spotthestation.nasa.gov/ It pops into visibility as it emerges from the earths shadow and disappears as it goes back in. NASA's timings are accurate to the second. You can set your watch to it. (Sadly not true of the trains!)

On one occasion I saw it and a smaller star - the shuttle - sail majestically across the sky. One of the other would be passengers asked me if I knew what it was, and word got passed down the platform and everyone waiting was looking at it and pointing it out. Its well worth looking out for.

© Wirral-Wikiwirral