Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 8th Dec 2013 10:59pm
Where can I buy ready made, really hot horseradish sauce from? We've tried the Coleman's brand but it's not hot enough. We like the kind that makes your eyes water and clears your sinuses when you eat it.

I've seen some online and was going to order it, but the shipping charges are ridiculous, and I had to have a minimum order of £15 and I only want one jar.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 8th Dec 2013 11:14pm
Have a look online, or in the supermarkets, for Wasabi, it's the Japanese version of horseradish, definitely clears the sinuses.
Originally Posted by TheDr
Have a look online, or in the supermarkets, for Wasabi, it's the Japanese version of horseradish, definitely clears the sinuses.

I've heard of the Wasabi type but never tried it, always assuming it wouldn't be the same as the more traditional stuff we're used to. I'm wondering if I can buy the actual horseradish root that I can grate and add to the creamy stuff I have. That would likely give it a bit of a kick smile
Posted By: TheDr Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 9th Dec 2013 1:13am
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Originally Posted by TheDr

I've heard of the Wasabi type but never tried it, always assuming it wouldn't be the same as the more traditional stuff we're used to. I'm wondering if I can buy the actual horseradish root that I can grate and add to the creamy stuff I have. That would likely give it a bit of a kick smile

This tends to come in a paste, although you can get it in nuts/beans. If you look online you'll also find it as a root.

TESCO

I would check out any of the shops on Oxton Rd, the Iranian Grocer has all sorts of things and the shop where the old Post Office used to be, I'm sure we have bought fresh horseradish from there before. Mattas in Bold Street also sell it.
Nothing like home-grown - need planting next spring - these look good - http://www.victoriananursery.co.uk/Horseradish_Plant/.

I hope you do find some and if you do please let me know because I love that too and ready made ones are quite feeble compared to the real thing.
possibly try the farmers market this saturday--in New Ferry. I got the horse radish root when they were in irby last year .

Also give Church Farm, thursaston, Claremont Farm, spital and a new farm shop in Barnston a ring they all tend to have weird and wonderful things in jars
Posted By: pepe26 Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 9th Dec 2013 6:49pm
Wasabi paste home and bargain moreton
Thanks all, looks like my day off on Thursday will be mostly spent searching out horseradish root smile Will give wasabi a whirl too
Go carefully with the wasabi, it can be really fierce.
Originally Posted by chriskay

If I'm honest, it's my husband who's the one that likes the really hot stuff, I'm okay with a bit of heat but once it gets to be painful upon eating, I'm out!

If I'm honest, it's my husband who's the one that likes the really hot stuff, I'm okay with a bit of heat but once it gets to be painful upon eating, I'm out!

Think most husbands like the really hot stuff !!
Posted By: Helles Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 9th Dec 2013 9:22pm
Lidl have some allegedly hot horse radish and the normal variety.
Originally Posted by fish5133

Think most husbands like the really hot stuff !!

Boom, Boom ! smile
Posted By: venice Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 10th Dec 2013 7:22pm
Eewww! and heres me always getting the Tesco creamed horseradish so that its NOT too hot. I dont get how people can actually taste the flavour of a food if its overly hot - I mean HOT HOT . Can anyone explain ? Maybe its not a flavour thing,is it more a comfort thing of enjoying the spice hot sensation --- like you feel cosy drinking a heat hot drink but a tepid one doesnt do anything for you ?
Posted By: venice Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 11th Dec 2013 9:31pm
Just heard on a cookery program tonight, someone saying that for hot horseradish , you get horseradish paste that goes with sushi, from probably a deli.
This is MY Horseradish!

[youtube]iC3lpe8hHxw[/youtube]
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 11th Dec 2013 10:44pm
Originally Posted by venice
Just heard on a cookery program tonight, someone saying that for hot horseradish , you get horseradish paste that goes with sushi, from probably a deli.

That's wasabi.
Posted By: Mark Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 11th Dec 2013 11:04pm
wasabi peas Awsome
Clear my nose and throat.
Posted By: venice Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 12th Dec 2013 12:25am
Wasabi ? Ah yes I tried that in a bean type salad thingy --nearly took my throat out !!
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 12th Dec 2013 12:25am
I was able to find a brand called Inferno Horseradish at Sainsbury's smile We have yet to try it, but according to the ingredients it has 70% horseradish as opposed to the milder varieties which have just 18%. It could be a winner, I'll keep you all informed.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 12th Dec 2013 4:27pm
Wasabi story. Many years ago, before I understood Japanese food, I was in the Ritz Carlton hotel in San Francisco. I decided to treat myself to a plate of sashimi, which is slices of various raw and marinated fish. It came with a little bowl of soy sauce and a small block of a green paste. This was wasabi, to be mixed with the soy sauce for dipping the fish, but I didn't know that. I picked it up with my chopsticks and put it in my mouth to eat it. Fortunately, there were not many people in the room, so I think I was able to spit it out without being seen. That's how I know about wasabi.
Posted By: Mark Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 20th Dec 2013 8:55pm
After not having Wasabi peas for a while after following this topic, I went out and bought 4 packs as Christmas is on the way. Over indulged on 2 pks and today I cant taste properly. Its like ive lost the stereo option and my tongue is working in mono lol. Fingers crossed tomorrow I shall have my buds back.
Originally Posted by Mark
After not having Wasabi peas for a while after following this topic, I went out and bought 4 packs as Christmas is on the way. Over indulged on 2 pks and today I cant taste properly. Its like ive lost the stereo option and my tongue is working in mono lol. Fingers crossed tomorrow I shall have my buds back.

Oh my! Hopefully you'll be able to taste your Christmas dinner next week too smile
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Where can I buy hot horseradish sauce from? - 23rd Dec 2013 3:18pm
Was reading something over the weekend and it was said that wasabi paste is frequently horseradish with green colouring so you might need to read the fine print.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral