Forums
Posted By: paxvobiscum Cold Bathroom - 3rd Dec 2013 6:30pm
My bathroom is always cold. The double glazing put in before I moved in is cheap and I think in this room inadequate.

If I had the window replaced is there any advantage in triple glazing rather than double, and as I am replacing the blind, would a thermal blind make any difference in temperature if the new window was suitable.

I don't think secondary glazing is the answer and would not want damage to the existing tiling or a patch-up job.

Would appreciate any feedback from Wikki members.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cold Bathroom - 3rd Dec 2013 8:27pm
doubt its the window. More likely 2 or 3 external walls.Tiled walls and sanitary ware generally cold.Is it in a flat roof extension? Check for draughts from window, extractor fan, hole through wall for soil/waste pipes.Window may have a trickle vent to help against condensation--may be draught coming in there Is it ground floor or first. Is the heating adequate i.e. radiator need bleeding.
Posted By: matty389 Re: Cold Bathroom - 3rd Dec 2013 10:47pm
Don't you have a radiator in there ?
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Cold Bathroom - 3rd Dec 2013 11:45pm
Originally Posted by paxvobiscum
My bathroom is always cold. The double glazing put in before I moved in is cheap and I think in this room inadequate.

If I had the window replaced is there any advantage in triple glazing rather than double, and as I am replacing the blind, would a thermal blind make any difference in temperature if the new window was suitable.

I don't think secondary glazing is the answer and would not want damage to the existing tiling or a patch-up job.

Would appreciate any feedback from Wikki members.

I'm having the same problem in the kitchen, it's always a few degrees colder than the rest of the house. I can only put it down to the floor being ceramic tiled and the fact we have granite worktops that obviously don't hold the heat or give it a cosy feel (they look spectacular, but other than that I wouldn't have either again)

Regarding whether a new window would help, we've just double glazing installed within the last few months, and it didn't help one bit in the kitchen. I'd imagine it may not help in your bathroom either frown

Posted By: Sallybear Re: Cold Bathroom - 4th Dec 2013 6:24am
Check the amount of anchor points in your window when it is open, we recently found we only had one and the window doesn't seal properly.

Maybe get some bathroom sealant and add it around where the window frame meets the wall, get a small candle and search for draughts and try and seal them.

Thermal blind might help, thinking of getting one for the living room, let me know if you see any good deals.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Cold Bathroom - 4th Dec 2013 10:06am
I had a similar problem and found a large hole behind the waste soil pipe leading outside causing a massive draught but it couldn't be seen. A load of sealant sorted the problem out. I think a bit of detective work is needed to locate your problem area.
Posted By: granny Re: Cold Bathroom - 4th Dec 2013 11:06am
My bathroom was done recently Pax, and I had waterwall instead of tiles. That is warmer than tiles but the bathroom is colder. Had one of the modern chrome towel rail type radiators put in and that is nowhere near as warm as the old fashioned radiator. Quite disappointed in that really. So if you have one it could be that. Also it continually has to be bled alternated with the water pressure being adjusted.
Reckon I could be a plumbers mate these days.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Cold Bathroom - 4th Dec 2013 4:03pm
Thanks everyone. I have a heated towel rail and no radiator and it is fully tiled with tiled floor. Will think it over taking on board your helpful suggestions.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: Cold Bathroom - 4th Dec 2013 5:00pm
Had no central heating in my last house so i found a stylish large electric panel wall heater (think it was 2Kw)suitable for bathrooms wired it up on a timer. Voila--lovely warm bathroom in morning.Quieter than a fan heater.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Cold Bathroom - 5th Dec 2013 2:53pm
Thanks Fish
© Wirral-Wikiwirral