Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 17th Sep 2013 8:55pm
My 12 year old Cocker-Poo dog has been fed on dry dog food for most of her life and has always done very well on it. Since she came over from USA with us 9 weeks ago, I've kept her on the same type of diet.

Anyway, (turn away now if you're squeamish!) all she seems to do now is poo all the time. It's not diarrhoea or anything, there's just loads and loads of it all the time! She could crap for England.

I was wondering if maybe the change in environment was causing this and thought her toilet habits would calm down after a few weeks, but so far, no frown

She is very happy and healthy otherwise, still sprightly for her age and doesn't show any signs of illness.

I'm not sure whether to try her on tinned dog food to see if this has any effect on the enormous poo situation, as I think that maybe there's a lot of bran in the dry biscuits.

Please let me know what you all feed to your dogs and which one would be considered the better brand (mine eats Baker's Senior)
Dilly has been like that all his life, must be the enviroment :-)

Seriously, what goes in, must come out. So it must be eating to much I would of thought.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 17th Sep 2013 9:14pm
We feed ours on a mix of dried and tinned food.
She gets 2/3 of a tin in the evening with about 2 and 1/2 handfuls of dried food and the rest of the tin with 1 and 1/2 handfuls in the morning after her first walk so round 8 AM. She is 23.5 kilos of muscle and brown fur, quite a bit of Rhodesian Ridgeback and something else, runs faster than Usain Bolt and swims better that Mark Phelps.She will do 4/5 poos per day and is the epitome of good health.We do give her a small bit of dried food at lunch time too.Both foods are from Aldi at the moment and it seems to make no difference which brand she eats.
Posted By: Madge Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 17th Sep 2013 9:31pm
Bakers makes both my small dogs poo more, i use chappie dried, less poo, and the vet (mcnulty in hoylake) says its a good one to use,
Posted By: starakita Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 17th Sep 2013 10:14pm
I use aldi dried food,she has 2 1/2 cups 1/2 cup boiled rice & a tin of tuna or mackrel she poos about 3 or 4 times a day but she will help herself to scraps the kids leave even though she knows she shouldn't.She's an akita.
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 17th Sep 2013 10:32pm
Originally Posted by Madge_the_Queen
Bakers makes both my small dogs poo more, i use chappie dried, less poo, and the vet (mcnulty in hoylake) says its a good one to use,

Thanks, I'll give that one a try. I wouldn't be bothered about the amount of poo if it was the norm for her, but she's only just begun generating huge amounts since living here. I'll let you know if the Chappie dried food helps smile
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 17th Sep 2013 10:41pm
Madge, where do you buy the Chappie dried food from? I've done a quick search of the online supermarkets and none seem to stock it.
We feed all ours, large and small, old and young, on RAW diet. There is a shop on Leasowe Road that can give you all the info on RAW and supply it all too!
We fed our terrier cross < small > a mixture of both , dry and tinned and she go,s for a poo every walk ,4 times a day. Normal for her....
is she fed at certain times, or left to graze ?

if she grazes, she will oo a lot, mine are fed a mix of wet and dry twice a day, and i know roughly when they need to go
Posted By: DA_DIBZ Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 18th Sep 2013 9:14am
Feeding your dog Dry food is just cruel and wrong. How would you like to be feed dry biscuits for the rest of your life wouldn't be nice would it. And people wonder why there dogs
Attack when there neighbour pops round with a meat pie. I wouldn't feed my dog that crap. Them that do should be ashamed of yourself. ...
It's a long time since I had a dog but we used to feed tinned Chappie with some Winalot. They did well on that diet and poop was good.

However times have moved on so I had a look around on the net and concluded that the 'raw' diet seemed to give very good results. There was also the suggestion that cheaper dog food resulted in more poops, possibly because it contains more 'bulking' cereal. I have no practical experience but understand different woofers need different diets.

If I ever had another dog I would certainly give a little time to researching this subject as dog food has changed so much over the years.
Posted By: Madge Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 18th Sep 2013 10:23am
Originally Posted by Elizabeth
Madge, where do you buy the Chappie dried food from? I've done a quick search of the online supermarkets and none seem to stock it.

Morrisons, and its £4 for a large bag, im happy with it, knowing a decent vet thinks its good, hope yours are ok with it,
Posted By: Elizabeth Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 18th Sep 2013 11:24am
Originally Posted by eggandchips
is she fed at certain times, or left to graze ?

if she grazes, she will oo a lot, mine are fed a mix of wet and dry twice a day, and i know roughly when they need to go

She's a grazer and always has been smile
Please have a look at the RAW food way. Its the most natural diet ever! And less poo!!

http://dogsdiner.webs.com/
I feed my GSD dried food .He seems to go regular and no bowel problems so far.I would never feed him on tinned food.
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Dilly has been like that all his life, must be the enviroment :-)

Seriously, what goes in, must come out. So it must be eating to much I would of thought.
Dillys is human not a dog. please do not joke about this it could be thatthe dog has developed some sort of bowel problem.
I think ive got the mix right at the moment tinned Butchers,
1 gravy
1 jelly
1/2 tin of dry which usually gets left if not mixed in,
twice daily and poo`s twice daily and easy to pick up,
Ive just mine on scamp its in asda 12 tins £5 and frollic dry, he loves it!
It seems from those who answered it's a 50/50 split with dry vs tinned food. Also judging by the answers, the amount of poo my dog does each day is not really excessive. ( perhaps she didn't poo enough before!)

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions though. I'll have a go with the Chappie dried for a while and then maybe give the tinned stuff a whizz too.

Posted By: mikroc Re: Do you feed your dog tinned or dry dog food? - 18th Sep 2013 8:14pm
I give mostly 3/4 dry and rest tinned obvious every gives ther dogs extras haha
© Wirral-Wikiwirral