Forums
Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody knows what development is going on on the old horses fields across the road from the Warrens Health Centre? Its just before Thingwall roundabout there seems to be a lot of machinery/building works going on.

Thanks.
Hi, would it be this?.

http://www.wirralglobe.co.uk/news/9...g_for_Wirral_s_high_voltage_cable_route/
Hi ZipperClub,

It could be because we don't get the Wirral Globe delivered regulary.

Thanks for replying.
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40
Does this look like it? Can't find any maps on offer though.

There's a map on the link ZipperClub posted: do keep up. wink
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fields over the road from the Warrens Health Centr - 4th Aug 2013 12:13pm
Frank.... I spent a while looking at a lengthy technical document yesterday. 70 odd pages of stuff. It showed the whole sketch. Cable route in great detail from Hunterston (Haggisville) to Connahs Quay. All the investigatory work, alternative routes etc. Follow the links starting off with the one given by Zipper. From the detailed map, it looks very much as if the cable route is around the neck of the woods in question. A bonzoid project - and some!

Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fields over the road from the Warrens Health Centr - 4th Aug 2013 12:14pm
Beat me to it Chris !!! I must type FASTER !!!
I thought they were building a menege, but I could be wrong.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fields over the road from the Warrens Health Centr - 4th Aug 2013 4:48pm
You could well be right Wench. The cable route sketch may be a separate thing? Menege a trois - in a decent area like that?? Who would have thought it? shocked
MenEge, not menAge wink Naughty Pinz smile
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
You could well be right Wench. The cable route sketch may be a separate thing? Menege a trois - in a decent area like that?? Who would have thought it? shocked

Menage Pinz, not Menege and the equestrian term is Manege! Hoping Chris is watching. laugh

Don't know is the answer from this port of call. The roads are up again with huge pipelines being inserted along the full length of Barnston Road. So ,it's anybodies guess.
Here is another map for your eyeballs

http://www.westernhvdclink.co.uk/map-of-route.aspx
Originally Posted by granny
Hoping Chris is watching. laugh

Yes, granny, I'm on the case. It's actually manège (Alt+138 for è)
trenching starting all over the wirral for the new cable. Why it didnt carry on under the sea and up the Dee to connahs quay i dont know. Presume it might be an SSSI
Originally Posted by chriskay

raftl Well spotted! Now you have learnt me summut good tonite never new ow ta do a cirleflex b4. Bin practisin and it sorted now mate.cool éh!
SSI and moving sands according to something I read somewhere a few months ago, it's surprisingly, a very high voltage DC cable as the cable is "short" the losses are acceptable,I was wondering how they got past that big undersea trench between Northern Ireland and Scotland , the one that was used as a big bang dump after WWII.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fields over the road from the Warrens Health Centr - 4th Aug 2013 8:26pm
Originally Posted by davew3
SSI and moving sands according to something I read somewhere a few months ago, it's surprisingly, a very high voltage DC cable as the cable is "short" the losses are acceptable,I was wondering how they got past that big undersea trench between Northern Ireland and Scotland , the one that was used as a big bang dump after WWII.

A few years back, they laid a HP gas pipe through the Beaufort Dyke. Hadn't done their homework. All sorts of goodies disturbed. The contents of a great pile of White Phosphorous bombs and other nasties were washed up on the beaches of S.W.Scotland. The warning signs are still up today - not far from where I live. The HVDC cable is shown going to the west of the dyke. Do they know that stuff was dumped all over that area too, not just in the dyke itself?

Beaufort Dyke is a horror show of massive amounts of bang, chemical warfare goodies and nuclear waste!
Originally Posted by chriskay

raftl Well spotted! Now you have learnt me summut good tonite never new ow ta do a cirleflex b4. Bin practisin and it sorted now mate.cool éh!

Glad to be of help, granny. (Can't help but think there are a few spelling errors in your post: the main one is "summut", which should be "summat", but it's getting late, so I'll let the rest pass).
That map link is really good, thanks - I hadn't seen it in such close detail before. It's passing quite close by my estate, I've seen the fencing up in the fields. Wonder if there's any archaeological checking going on as they dig, in case there's anything interesting down there?
Originally Posted by ZipperClub
Here is another map for your eyeballs

http://www.westernhvdclink.co.uk/map-of-route.aspx

Thanks, that's great. O.K. now, Frank?
Went past that way this morning. Heck! There ,is what I can only describe as an massive extent of, levelling of earth. Huge mounds of soil which appears to surround two sides of what I would call a square base, plus an already made roadway for access.If it is anything to do with the underground cable thingy, then they should have kept it above ground. For whatever purpose, this is huge!!
Can't imagine that it is anything to do with horses, unless it's an emormous stable block, but that I would have thought from position, would be too close to the road.
We should be able to find it on WMBC planning applications, unless it's too long ago.
Just hope they don't put ANOTHER set of traffic lights there also. Talk about carbon pollution!
I actually believe we can get through Liverpool city centre, more quickly than travelling from Gills Lane,Pensby to the M53.

OK. That makes perfect sense.

The cable is designed to carry power from the scottish wind farms south. Most of it is underwater in the Irish sea. DC was chosen because you don't have to separate the conductors as you do in AC to minimise capacitive losses, and you don't need pylons all the way so the cabling is much cheaper. I imagine a VERY deep trench would be needed and I expect it would be encased in concrete too. You really DON'T want a JCB digging it up!
Ihe cable is only going to be 1.2 metres deep; doesn't sound deep enough to me, but maybe, as you say, it'll be encased in concrete.
Made me laugh as they have been there for about 6 weeks - with no works vehicles (just the people making the paddocks) - when it was as dry as a bone - soon as the rain comes back the works vehicles arrive and the place now looks like Glastonbury - mud and puddles everywhere !!! :-)
Originally Posted by 19FRANK40

Apparently this A/C cable is brand new and this will be the first time it has ever used in this country. Something quite special apparently,

It's actually a D.C. cable, which is what makes it unusual.
What puzzles me is how convoluted the route is.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Fields over the road from the Warrens Health Centr - 6th Aug 2013 4:21pm
Subsea HVDC isn't new. The Moyle interconnector was laid twixt Scotland and N.Ireland about 15yrs(?) ago. HVAC overhead grid on "our" side to a converter station on the coast nr. Ballantrae. Converted to HVDC thence undersea cables to landfall in N.Ireland. Another converter station back to AC and into their grid. Direction of flow can be reversed to suit peak demands. The foregoing is from memory. I might be out on the date.
Being daft,I still don't understand. Is this going to be a monstrocity above the ground now? Why were they making paddocks just a few weeks ago, what are they for and where have the horses gone? Confused .com think
© Wirral-Wikiwirral