Forums
Posted By: ZipperClub Walking the dog - 31st Jul 2013 5:59pm
Ok, help me out here. Just supposing a responsable person takes dog for a walk in the park, dog makes a mess as per usual. Owner picks up mess off the grass and sticks it in a bag and takes it home. Family come along with young baby and have a picnic on the grass. The baby plays around enjoying the sunny day out. Next day the baby has sore eyes and mum takes baby to the doctors. After a few tests they find the baby contracted toxocariasis and is almost blind. All because the grass still contained canine faeces. Removing the dog dirt does not make the grass clean again.
So, would it be better to leave the dirt there so people could see where it was and move elsewhere?
Or something else to stop the contamination???
Posted By: eggandchips Re: Walking the dog - 31st Jul 2013 6:16pm
most problems with toxacariasis canaris are usually caused by puppies that have not been innoculated. having said that it is extremely rare, although this is no consolation to worried parents..
if dogs have their annual boosters and a wormed regularly, then there shouldn't be a problem.
the key word again is RESPONSIBLE owners

it is also carried by foxes......
Posted By: granny Re: Walking the dog - 31st Jul 2013 6:38pm
Originally Posted by eggandchips

it is also carried by foxes......

Oh, that is worrying! I have a foxes lair at the bottom of my garden. Two three year old children play regularly here.Are they at risk at that age and who can be contacted to get rid of the foxes? I was quite happy with the foxes there, but not now.

Poor little baby, what a dreadful thing to happen. I dare say fewer dogs will be getting vaccinated, due to costs.
Posted By: eddtheduck Re: Walking the dog - 31st Jul 2013 6:52pm
if the owner can't pay 22 pound for puppies or 32 pound dogs over 12 months to get their jabs, should they have a dog in the 1st place?
Posted By: Salmon Re: Walking the dog - 31st Jul 2013 9:45pm
Originally Posted by eddtheduck
if the owner can't pay 22 pound for puppies or 32 pound dogs over 12 months to get their jabs, should they have a dog in the 1st place?

No they should not.
Posted By: paxvobiscum Re: Walking the dog - 1st Aug 2013 2:24am
Hi Granny.You might be interested in www.thefoxwebsite which gives info on fox diseases in humans, which includes Sarcoptic Mange (fox mites), and fox tapeworm which can cause fatal liver disease in humans in some parts of the world, though the latter not in UK
Posted By: granny Re: Walking the dog - 1st Aug 2013 11:17pm
Thanks Paxvo, will have a read. smile
© Wirral-Wikiwirral