Forums
Posted By: Zubee Chester advice please - 24th Jul 2013 10:24am
Hi all,

Want to take my parents to Chester for a day out either tomorrow or Friday. Where is the best place to park (I don't mind paying) and what's to do while we're there, NOT shopping!

Thanks
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chester advice please - 24th Jul 2013 11:00am
Chester race course my have some events on.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chester advice please - 24th Jul 2013 11:17am
Park & ride would be easiest; parking in the city is very difficult. When I used the one at Boughton recently, I found I needed £2 in coin for the ticket, don't know if all the sites are the same; I guess the one at the Zoo would be the most convenient for you.
If the weather's good, a half-hour trip on the river is nice. Boats leave every half hour, on the hour and the half hour. You don't say how active your parents are, but a walk round all or some of the walls is good. Although it involves shops, strolling round the Rows, which I think are unique in this country, can be cooler than on the street.
Enjoy your trip.
http://www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk/residents/transport_and_roads/park_and_ride.aspx
Posted By: OxtonHill Re: Chester advice please - 24th Jul 2013 11:28am
Best place to park in Chester is just under the Crowne Plaza Hotel, its a Pay & Displey 4hrs & over abt £5.00. Centrally located for everything Chester has to offer.The entrance is on St. Martin's Way.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chester advice please - 24th Jul 2013 12:08pm
An alternative would be to go by train. If you do, buy Saveaway tickets: £4.80, which is cheaper than a day return at £6.05. You might even find time to squeeze in a free trip on the Mersey Ferries. Just means you can't travel on a weekday before 9.30am, no restriction on Saturday. There's a bus from Chester station to the city centre every few minutes, it costs £1 each way, but bus passes can be used.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Chester advice please - 24th Jul 2013 12:42pm
Really helpful, thanks guys smile
Posted By: Katryn Re: Chester advice please - 25th Jul 2013 7:45pm
Go down by the river where there are river boat rides really nice and pleasant atmosphere with lot's of benches to sit on smile
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: workinclasshero Re: Chester advice please - 25th Jul 2013 8:24pm
You could have tea and scones on the river bank only about a fiver each
Posted By: Zubee Re: Chester advice please - 25th Jul 2013 11:47pm
Originally Posted by workinclasshero
You could have tea and scones on the river bank only about a fiver each

Bargain! Thanks, mum & dad will love that.

Katryn, thank you for the photos. The river cruise is a definite.
Posted By: Dilly Re: Chester advice please - 26th Jul 2013 7:23am
Hope you all have a great day and bring us all back a stick of rock. (Mint) x
Posted By: Zubee Re: Chester advice please - 26th Jul 2013 8:01am
Thank you Dilly, I'll try and remember the rock smile
Posted By: missmoneypenny Re: Chester advice please - 26th Jul 2013 8:10am
Have a lovely day Zubee.
Posted By: Zubee Re: Chester advice please - Update - 26th Jul 2013 9:11pm
Hi all,

Had a really good day today with absolutely no shopping! Except when my dad cut his hand on the car door and we went to Boots for plasters and they called a first aider (Donna) to have a look at it. What lovely people they were.

Went for a walk along the river then on the cruise. Saw a heron smile. Went for lunch at the Boathouse and were able to sit outside in this grand weather. Food and service were great. Then for a stroll along part of the walls. Happy days!

Thanks for your posts and suggestions, big thanks to Chriskay for the link for the park & ride. I didn't know this existed and I can't recommend it highly enough. £2 return from Chester Zoo straight to Frodsham Street in the middle of town. Excellent and stress free.

smile
Posted By: chriskay Re: Chester advice please - Update - 26th Jul 2013 9:27pm
Sounds as if you had a great day; glad you enjoyed it. Park & Ride is good, although I usually go by train myself. The shuttle bus from the station goes to Frodsham St. too and you can't get much more central.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Chester advice please - Update - 30th Jul 2013 7:50pm
Originally Posted by Zubee
Hi all,

Had a really good day today with absolutely no shopping! Except when my dad cut his hand on the car door and we went to Boots for plasters and they called a first aider (Donna) to have a look at it. What lovely people they were.

Went for a walk along the river then on the cruise. Saw a heron smile. Went for lunch at the Boathouse and were able to sit outside in this grand weather. Food and service were great. Then for a stroll along part of the walls. Happy days!

Thanks for your posts and suggestions, big thanks to Chriskay for the link for the park & ride. I didn't know this existed and I can't recommend it highly enough. £2 return from Chester Zoo straight to Frodsham Street in the middle of town. Excellent and stress free.

smile

Glad to hear you had a nice day out smile

Hope your dad's hand is alright now.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral