Forums
Posted By: Gleaming House building work - 15th Jun 2013 1:10pm
Hi im new so appoligies if this is in the wrong place.

I would like reccomendations for the following work if anyone knows anyone/ firm... please in box me.

I need a extractor fan putting in the external wall in my bathroom & all cables burrying etc..

2 Extractors fans with two isolator switches to comply with regs
2 holes cored out in external wall
all cables burried.
The same in the kitchen. I have had a quote of over £600 which I think is exxcessive. My friend suggested i try this forum as word of mouth is generally a good thing.

Thanks in advance... sorry for the long post
Posted By: Tommy20 Re: House building work - 15th Jun 2013 1:55pm
Hello I will inbox you now my dad has a building company
Posted By: Blueskier Re: House building work - 16th Jun 2013 10:29am
£600!!!!

Get a Part P registered Electrician to do it.
I am a spark but industrial not domestic.
Core cutting about £25 per hole and wiring about £100, possibly more depending on ease of access etc but not more than £200. I would want a rewire for £600.

Maybe edit your title to wiring rather than house building. If needs be i know a Part P electrician whose number i could give you.
Posted By: fish5133 Re: House building work - 16th Jun 2013 7:46pm
Could get to £600 if the spark has taken a look at the distribution board. Complicated regs now about Part P I wanted a shower adding and the spark wouldnt touch it unless he put a new distribution board in to meet regs.sounds like the guy has quoted for 2 full days work --maybe access to bathroom wall is not easy requiring scaffold.
Posted By: Gleaming Re: House building work - 16th Jun 2013 9:08pm
Would you say I'm best getting a handyman type guy to core the holes?
as I have a plaster I could call upon just need the holes doing and a Electriction to wire up & channel cables

It's standard 2nd floor no scaffold required.
No more than a days work I would say

I just thought the £725 this firm quoted was quite steep especially with no negotiation on price.

Posted By: fish5133 Re: House building work - 16th Jun 2013 10:19pm
Some general builders will install it and just get a Part P electrician to certify it. Some will just do it and not bother worrying about the Part P stuff--just like they use to do a few years back. £725 sounds well over the odds.
Another option if its possible is to have the bathroom fan ceiling mounted and ducted to the eaves through the loft.
What I would do is write down what you want and find half a dozen sparks who advertise and have emails. email it off for quotes or at least a budget subject to survey. dont mention how much you have been quoted,or let them see who you have emailed to.Do you want them to supply the fans --in which case specify what fan you want and how operates pull cord, off the light switch or based on the rooms humidity. Might need to know room size to determine fan size. try www.yell.com
Posted By: saltytom Re: House building work - 17th Jun 2013 6:22am
Do not go to general builder keep it with an electrician who is Part P / Nic, agree with fish on his points.

If the property is empty / undecorated it is fine to drill from inside, but we always try to drill externally to avoid mess.
Gleaming you cannot decide that no scaffold is required if you core drill externally above ground floor you must use a scaffold I have seen a person try to drill from a ladder only a fool would try it. Even at ground floor level you must drill off a platform
© Wirral-Wikiwirral