Forums
Posted By: Willo_ Big mistake - 6th Jun 2013 9:56pm
I have had some work done in my flat over past few weeks, insulation on inside walls and plastering.

The plumber came to put rad back on wall in bathroom, and never put earth wire back on.

I'd of thought earth wire in bathroom needs to be on, I phoned up to complain, and was told due to the fact the original wire it was connected to is now behind the insulation, it does not need connecting.

I do believe that is the biggest load of S@@te I have ever heard.

Or am I wrong?

Attached picture rad2.jpg

Description: My cat insisted on being in pic.
Attached picture rad1.jpg
Posted By: TheDr Re: Big mistake - 6th Jun 2013 10:10pm
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

From memory, they are basically correct.

In the "old" days (just a few years ago) you had to Earth and Cross Bond just about everything, but the regulations changed on I think the 17th edition as you now have to use ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers) so if there was a problem it should cut all power.

The bathroom (in fact all "wet" areas) should be on a 30ma RCD anyway, so as long as the rest of it is all up to code, you're fine.

Posted By: Willo_ Re: Big mistake - 6th Jun 2013 10:32pm
Originally Posted by TheDr
No doubt someone will correct me if I'm wrong on anything.

From memory, they are basically correct.

In the "old" days (just a few years ago) you had to Earth and Cross Bond just about everything, but the regulations changed on I think the 17th edition as you now have to use ELCB (Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers) so if there was a problem it should cut all power.

The bathroom (in fact all "wet" areas) should be on a 30ma RCD anyway, so as long as the rest of it is all up to code, you're fine.

Thanks for that, I thought it was strange, as it was connected to a earth strap behind new wall, and from there it was connected to a big thick earth wire, that then goes up trunking, but no way to get to it now as its all been boarded over and plastered, I thought it should be connected for a reason, as I did not think it was there to decorate bathroom lol, but as you say things have changed and are changing all the time.
Posted By: Sanchez Re: Big mistake - 6th Jun 2013 11:01pm
But if the rest of your house isn't up to 17th then it needs to be put back on.
Posted By: Willo_ Re: Big mistake - 6th Jun 2013 11:10pm
Originally Posted by Sanchez
But if the rest of your house isn't up to 17th then it needs to be put back on.
Would it be ok to use a earth strap and just connect it to copper pipe. Or will it need to go back to original wire.
Posted By: TheDr Re: Big mistake - 7th Jun 2013 8:20am
It depends what the copper pipe is connected to, that's why I said that "if the rest is up to code you'll be okay".

The 17th gives quite specific instructions about how the wiring should be, and they are quite right that the radiator doesn't need to be Earthed, but this is conditional on the ELCB being fitted.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral