Forums
Posted By: pickle1984 Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 9:00am
Does anyone know if Shore Road pumping Station is still opening to visitors?
Posted By: TRANCENTRAL Re: Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 9:09am
Originally Posted by pickle1984
Does anyone know if Shore Road pumping Station is still opening to visitors?

(grasshopper)its closed mate frown
Posted By: missmahjong Re: Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 9:34am
That a shame tc , would love to have been able to go there.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 10:08am
Shore Road Pumping Station WAS one of the better attractions that Wirral had. Closed by the usual bean counters who haven't a clue about most things they meddle with. Another FAIL WBC !!
Posted By: granny Re: Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 10:33am
Great shame. Did you visit it Pinz? Amazing to see it working.

I was told that Peel Holdings own the land which the Pumping Station is on, so who would own the Pumping Station? Might not be the reason it closed but could possibly be a reason for it opening again, one day.
I'm sure the chaps at the trams would be able to tell you more if you took a visit to see them.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 10:51am
@Granny. Yes, I visited it on a couple of occasions. Full of praise for the job they did on restoring the Grasshopper. Also interesting displays relating to the Mersey Railway and it's "behind the scenes" workings. An educational eye-opener for kids and adults alike.

Moons ago I organised a visit there. This was when it was "as was" when they shut the steam plant down in 1957(?). A real rust and cobwebs job! Thought then it would be amazing if it was restored. Had a trip down the ventilation tunnels and a ride in the lift down to the drainage tunnel below the rail tunnel. Brilliant!

Wouldn't be allowed now of course - H&S crapola!
Posted By: pickle1984 Re: Shore Road Pumping Station - 29th Apr 2013 11:45am
Thanks guys, propper gutted as i would love to have visited. Would have been a great photo op
© Wirral-Wikiwirral