Forums
Posted By: Reno37 Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 11:48am
I feel sure that from amongst the talented people of Wirral I can get an answer to the following question asked of me. We have lived in a close within Wallasey area like most of our neighbors since the close was built in 2000. When we moved in we where informed by our solicitor that the parking of vans, caravans, mobile homes, boats, and trailers was prohibited anywhere in the area due to the original planning permission and local Bye-Laws, as there are no pavements in the close. This has been adhered to by all neighbors for the last 13 years. However new owners have now purchased a property and park a very large white van on the driveway seemingly in contravention of any restrictions and to the anoyance of other neighbors who have never witnessed a van in the area prior to this date. We cannot discuss the parking with our new neighbors as they are not resident, but the vehicle comes and goes a couple of days a week. The question I have been asked from many of our senior citizens is it contrary to Bye-laws or any restrictions governing the parking of commercial vehicles in a residential area over night. I do not know the answer, but would appreciate if anyone out there can assist. I apologise if the query in some ways seems a little snobish, it is not intended to seem so, but merely to seek an answer to assist my neighbors.

Many Thanks

Ace
I have had this situation- the thing is these people are probably using the van for there income such as a job... its parked on the driveway so really what is the problem. I had vans parking outside my house and its annoying as it ruins your view.
Ok so you were told vans etc should not be parked in your close- did this close get intended for non-working community when it was built? Are these people causing any problem apart from parking their vehicle in their drive?
Why not start worrying when they are having loud parties or being anti social- stirring up trouble over a van is the reason why neighbours end up having feuds. People have their own lives and may not fit in with your trail of thought so either start some legal action and cause a big stink over a van parked on a drive or just keep the peace and let things be. That is my opinion and I hate vans!
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 12:29pm
I'd try discussing it with your neighbout first, if you don't want to then you could try your police community support officer. If it bothers you, then you'll need to do something about it. PCSO's are very good at dealing with this type of matter.

This is why we have laws; one person's idea of acceptable behaviour is often different to another's, so this is when the law comes in and finally determines what's right and what's wrong, regardless of opinions.
Posted By: Salmon Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 12:35pm
If it was contrary to any bye law there would surely be a sign at the entrance to the close advising this.You would surely be able to check with Wirral Council or even the solicitor who did your conveyancing.I would expect that sort of thing to be in a letter from him when you were negotiating the purchase.Otherwise as Chopper says it may well be something you will have to accept.It is not the worst thing that can happen in life.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 12:40pm
Not snobbish at all! You are quite right at been irked at a commercial vehicle - of any description being parked in your road if there's a covenant in place against such things.

When we lived near Chester, it was then in a fairly new-build cul-de-sac. Our Solicitor pointed out that there was a prohibition on such vehicles being parked there. Everyone adhered to that. No problem! EXCEPT, some idiot moved in a few doors down, bringing his tranny van/heap with him. Parked half on the pavement of course.

A few of us split the cost of a Solicitor's letter to him. Result was that a few days later, the van was away, followed by him a few weeks shortly afterwards!

From memory, the same convenant stopped everyone building higher than original build walls/fences around their gardens. The dreaded Leylandi forests had to be ruthlessly kept down too. All fair enough.

Everyone knows the rules BEFORE buying their house. Simples!!

Check with your Solicitor Reno37. I "think" if they ignore the letter from them, it's a County Court sketch. Best check though. Things may have changed.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 1:11pm
Ha, you think a van's a problem; how would you like to have THIS parked outside your house?

Attached picture P1000874-1.jpg
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 1:41pm
grin
Posted By: Tatey Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 2:51pm
It must be foreign as the wheel is on the wrong side. Probably a scrap metal dealer that drinks rum. ;-)
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 1st Mar 2013 3:39pm
grin grin
Posted By: Neil_c Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 2nd Mar 2013 10:53am
just have a word with the police in the first instance, they were really helpful in sorting out our parking problems. It could save you the cost of a solicitor's letter.

Get the convenant ready first to show them the parking restrictions.
Posted By: dave_h Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 2nd Mar 2013 5:28pm
withthat
Posted By: CateJones Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 2nd Mar 2013 9:38pm
Just bear in mind before you get the police/solicitors involved, that this van may be linked to your neighbours income. They may not be able to afford to keep it elsewhere in a secure place?
get a life and stop worrying!these people may not feel their van will be save parked anywhere else,if a van parked in your close is your worst problem then id be a very happy man,and i'm probably right in thinking they have parked in a secure spot with the constant curtain twitching that seems to be goin on.
Posted By: Martin1943 Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 2nd Mar 2013 10:22pm
What a super vehicle! Seriously though anyone who causes an obstruction by the manner of his parking is causing an Offence, for obvious reasons. Too many people think they have the "right" to park outside their house. Some our way park right on the pavement against their gateway. I understand that the Council is about to start taking action against pavement parkers and hold them responsible for ant pavement damage.
Posted By: Tony_1985 Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 3rd Mar 2013 2:13am
I'm pretty sure that because you have stated that the van is on a driveway, there is nothing you can do

If it were, for example, parked on a footpath then there would be cause for action
Posted By: Helles Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 5th Mar 2013 9:41pm
Ex forces vehicle Tatey. Made by Landrover I think? I wouldn't be too bothered by vans on their own driveways but far too many firms are using public roads to save on garaging. A good example is Wallasey road. Nuff said!
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 5th Mar 2013 10:11pm
@Helles. "Landrover" - what an insult !! Grrr.. Nowt so flimsy! The clue is in the badge. Made by Steyr Daimler Puch in Graz (Austria)

Quite right in the ex-military bit. It's ex-Swiss Army. 40yrs old this June. (In better nick than I am!) grin

Sorry. Going off topic.
Posted By: chriskay Re: Van parking overnight in residential area - 6th Mar 2013 11:05am
And if anyone wants to see one in action, there are plenty on u-tube; quite extraordinary.
(Even further off topic).
© Wirral-Wikiwirral