Forums
Posted By: Elizabeth The Cost Of Living - 17th Feb 2013 4:21am
I'm trying to work out whether the cost of living is cheaper in the UK than the USA?
My hubby and I will be moving back to Wirral in the future so I'd be interested to know what other people would say their average outgoings are per month. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me their earnings, just the average spent on basic living.
I'll give a rundown of what we spend here in USA for just the two of us converted into £'s.

Petrol for 2 cars £255.00
Groceries (this includes washing powder, pet food, shampoo etc) £350
Cable/phone/tv £100
Mobile phone £55
Electric £85
Gas & oil heat £175
Council tax £200
Car & house ins £100
Water rates £25
Total £1345.00

I haven't included the mortgage in that nor the cost of ciggies & booze as not everyone has those costs.

Does this seem more or less than that of UK? We don't live in a mansion, just a fairly modest sized 4 bed home.

Posted By: Salmon Re: The Cost Of Living - 17th Feb 2013 8:20am
Petrol obviously varies according to usage but is currently about the 135.9 per litre mark.Car and house insurance have too many variables to comment.I think the same for groceries really but we visit Canada at least twice a year and find the prices for most things to be pretty much of a muchness.
We pay £26 for water rates, we are on a meter.
TV packages depend entirely on what you want, we have Sky HD and sports which costs £70 per month.
Phone line rental is £14.50 per month.
Mobile phone packages can be free up to any amount you want depending on the package.We both have very basic phones and pay £10.50 per month.
Council tax is £131 per month, 3 bed detached
Gas and electric, we pay £89 per month
Posted By: kevinhit Re: The Cost Of Living - 17th Feb 2013 6:14pm
Thats pretty much what we are paying give a few hundred here and there, we only have one car. Interesting though.
Depending on who supplies your power, will determine your cost. Theres not alot of difference. The only item I havent added is our mortgage! lets not go there.....
© Wirral-Wikiwirral