Forums
Posted By: BrianMorgan Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 2nd Feb 2013 2:12pm
I've come across a number of references in different places to a Stratford Way, Noctorum. The name's in a book, a newspaper report and a couple of official records, but I cannot see it anywhere now or on any maps. The time would be in the seventies/eighties. Does anyone know or remember where it was/is or what happened to the street?
Posted By: Shambo Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 2nd Feb 2013 2:50pm
Could it be a now defunct road on the Noctorum Estate? I seem to remember a bit of regeneration going on in the eighties with some houses and roads making way for new car parking and playareas and the such.
Thanks for the suggestion, I wonder if anyone recalls this and what is actually on that site now?
Posted By: bert1 Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 2nd Feb 2013 4:16pm

Attached picture noc.JPG
That's really very helpful, solving the missing street puzzle. Does anyone have a year for the demolition, even approximate?
Looking at the early street map and comparing with current street layout it seems as though there was quite extensive re-naming of streets. Stratford Way seems to have become Sandalwood Drive. Can anybody local confirm what I think?
Posted By: NettyMc Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 3rd Feb 2013 6:35pm
Hi all .
Yes I can confirm where Stratford Way was.
I had a family member who lived in Stratford Way on the Noctorum for some 30 years.
The houses were all revamped in the 1990's and the name was changed to Sandalwood Drive.
All the houses are still there.
Hope this helps.

xx
Posted By: BrianMorgan Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 3rd Feb 2013 11:06pm
It does help, and I've spotted one house listed on an estate agent's list on-line saying built in 1970. So it all fits. The street is high profile in a book called Broken which I've been reading. I was very puzzled by not finding the name Stratford Way currently. Were the house numbers changed when renaming took place, does anyone know? When you say revamped does that mean refurbished, brought up to modern day specs? Google shows houses there in very good condition. That happened widely in Cardiff but to houses built more than a century ago, not as recently as Noctorum houses.
Posted By: NettyMc Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 4th Feb 2013 11:19am
I do mean refurbished.
The houses were originally built to house families who had been removed from inner Birkenhead during the demolition of the "two up, two down" streets and the clearance of Oak and Eldon Gardens.
They were semi pre-fabricated and were built from poor quality materials, they needed to be improved and modernized.

They look a million times better than what they used to look in the 1980's.

It's all very helpful and thanks so much.
Posted By: angie Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 20th Mar 2013 4:40pm
I lived there from when it was built in 1969 until it was knocked down in 1993,thers nothing there now just extensions of people front gardens,I lived in 37 stratford way which was across the road from the shop.
Posted By: TrekkieGal Re: Where is or was Stratford Way, Noctorum? - 29th Jul 2013 7:09pm
I lived at Tamworth Way from 1971 until 1983. A few years back I decided to take a drive there and have a look and I was surprised to note that Tamworth Way no longer exists. It is now Ridgeview Road. The houses do look much better, but the layout is so different. The lovely back gardens are now front gardens and the green at the front of the house consists of back gardens and an entry.
I had many happy years there as a child. It would be interesting to hear from any former residents.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral