Forums
Posted By: venice Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 5:37pm
Has anyone any personal experience of how food banks are 'actually' run on the Wirral Peninsular? eg. Ive read that the Leasowe one is by referral only - voucher from a professional,---Ive also been told vouchers arent observed, and anyone saying they're needy will be provided for on a first come first served basis. Anyone work in a Wirral foodbank who can clarify how it operates please?
Im really inspired by the idea , and am interested in other peoples views on what ways they think these banks should work , how and if people using them' should be 'picked' , whether just basic provisions should be donated , whether its better to have 2 Aldi cereals or one M&S cereal donated, whether folk known to spend their own money on the nags, fags, designer trainers, booze , M&S high end prepped food etc should be excluded ,whether as the newspapers stated today in their 'foodbank myth busting' feature , that food help is only be given for 3 days as an emergency measure---stuff like that.
I think foodbanks are going to be a huge subject of conversation once (if) the Govt goes ahead with its future cuts, so Im hoping this post will provoke some interesting takes on the subject as well as publicizing the need for this sort of help across our area.
Posted By: Mark Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 9:48pm
From what i have seen on the TV its more of a need too. With Benefits taking too long to update people are having to turn to Food Banks just to Survive.

Not Sure how its Policed, but with this modern world desperation can lead to things like this being abused.

Its good that we see them on the news the food banks, as it shows us that it is Mr & Mrs Ordinary becoming dependant on them.

I dont know anyone who uses them, nor do i know where they are if any on the wirral, but it would be handy to know.
Posted By: missj Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:15pm
I took a cab to work last week and got chatting to the driver...He runs a cafe in Birkenhead called Aarons Cafe which is being run as an ordinary cafe by day and a community cafe in the evening. He sources groceries from various places and sells them on to those on low income (benefits) for about 2-3 pounds, the value of the groceries comes to approx £20, all proceeds go back into the pot for providing more help to the most vulnerable in the community. I don't know too much about the project,just what he was telling me on the short journey but what a lovely selfless guy, he has loads of ideas to help those less fortunate no matter who they are. Its on Cleveland Street and if you're going to buy a butty for lunch you might as well help someone while you're at it!
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:15pm
There is one in Moreton, one in Whetstone Lane, Birkenhead and also one in St Pauls Church Hall, Seacombe.

Referrals are by social workers, g.p's, c.a.b workers, teachers and police.

It is a sad state of affairs. In the Wallasey News, it was reported recently that the Moreton foodbank experienced a 500% increase in demand, just recently.
I feel this will increase furthur next year due to Welfare Reforms.

The central storage for Wirral is Unit 14, Wirral Business Park, Dock Road.

[email protected]

Donations accepted at Wallasey Central Library.

Posted By: paulaharry Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:18pm
St Pauls Seacombe and the Heritage Centre in Victoria Road, New Brighton. But they are opening up more and more all over. I think they're a brilliant idea and more people are in need of them. I don't know who qualifies to use them though, but I have heard via the TV its a three time hand out. If that is the case what do people do when they've had their quota?
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:19pm
http://www.wirral.foodbank.org.uk
Posted By: paulaharry Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:23pm
Thanks for the info Rudebox, I was wondering where I could take donations, and I had'nt seen your comment above before I'd posted mine. Too slow Doah! lol.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:26pm
No probs. smile
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Food banks - 23rd Dec 2012 10:29pm
Originally Posted by paulaharry
St Pauls Seacombe and the Heritage Centre in Victoria Road, New Brighton. But they are opening up more and more all over. I think they're a brilliant idea and more people are in need of them. I don't know who qualifies to use them though, but I have heard via the TV its a three time hand out. If that is the case what do people do when they've had their quota?
I agree, it is worrying that people recieve a 3 day supply of basic foods (see my link for list of items accepted) for 3 times only.
Posted By: venice Re: Food banks - 24th Dec 2012 12:56am
Thanks for the link Rudebox. Looking at the part of the link where it details what volunteers /helpers /workers at the food bank have to sign, to keep mum about ALL details of the workings of the foodbank,(not just about the names of recipients,which I see the reason for), I see now why we are unlikely to have 'in the know' people discussing how it works 'in reality'. Hope such secrecy doesnt lead to the temptation of corruption that Mark mentions in his earlier post.Quote--
"Not Sure how its Policed, but with this modern world desperation can lead to things like this being abused."
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Food banks - 24th Dec 2012 2:16am
All good for the Con-Dems. wink
Posted By: venice Re: Food banks - 24th Dec 2012 4:56pm
Not sure if I understand that RB ? Anyway, going back to the issue of three days supply . I dont get it. Ok so there will be some who can just about manage most weeks, but maybe kids new shoes, car breaking down, or the dog needing a vet etc would trash the budget for that particular week, so the food bank would be perfect for them, but I would have thought that the majority of the folk needing the banks, (especially when the new welfare stuff bites) will be permanently in a situation of not being able to make ends meet, so what about them ? 3 days relief isnt going to help much . I dont know what the answer is, but I am bothered that if the Govt sees that all these foodbanks 'appear' to be solving the problem ,they wont have to try too hard for a permanent solution to it. For that reason, I dont think its a good idea that foodbanks make that 3 day rule (or similar) because it allows the Govt to latch onto it and use it as propaganda eg. - very short term help, sounds good in that it wont encourage people to stop trying to help themselves and rely on handouts ,and it makes it seem that a 'brief top up' here and there, is all that is required - (so we the Govt havent got it that wrong then,have we !!!)
Just as the food banks will by next year probably have to start finding a way to allocate their goods to only the most absolutely desperate in order to cope - I think that that is what the Govt are going to have to do as well. I forsee a whole new raft of means testing coming in.
Posted By: Katryn Re: Food banks - 26th Dec 2012 3:59pm
Originally Posted by venice
Not sure if I understand that RB ? Anyway, going back to the issue of three days supply . I dont get it. Ok so there will be some who can just about manage most weeks, but maybe kids new shoes, car breaking down, or the dog needing a vet etc would trash the budget for that particular week, so the food bank would be perfect for them, but I would have thought that the majority of the folk needing the banks, (especially when the new welfare stuff bites) will be permanently in a situation of not being able to make ends meet, so what about them ? 3 days relief isnt going to help much . I dont know what the answer is, but I am bothered that if the Govt sees that all these foodbanks 'appear' to be solving the problem ,they wont have to try too hard for a permanent solution to it. For that reason, I dont think its a good idea that foodbanks make that 3 day rule (or similar) because it allows the Govt to latch onto it and use it as propaganda eg. - very short term help, sounds good in that it wont encourage people to stop trying to help themselves and rely on handouts ,and it makes it seem that a 'brief top up' here and there, is all that is required - (so we the Govt havent got it that wrong then,have we !!!)
Just as the food banks will by next year probably have to start finding a way to allocate their goods to only the most absolutely desperate in order to cope - I think that that is what the Govt are going to have to do as well. I forsee a whole new raft of means testing coming in.

have you seen this

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/david-cameron-and-ministers-snub-plea-1502446

(Mr Cameron was branded out of touch last Wednesday after hailing the huge increase in reliance on food banks as an example of the Big Society he wants to build.) no
Posted By: venice Re: Food banks - 26th Dec 2012 5:25pm
I hadnt no Katryn, but it fits.
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Food banks - 26th Dec 2012 7:44pm
I like the thought of food banks on principle but do worry that whilst the need for some is exceptionally high, it will create a reliance in what should be a temporary system.

the government should already be drawing up long term plans yet thousands of families are having to turn to food banks just to get by because benefit reforms, longer waiting times for processing of benefits and such like are creating a long term problem for those who can not manage.

I am the first to admit, I don't fully understand the benefits system and stuff like that. I just see more and more people struggling, more people going without food so they can feed and clothe their kids etc

What saddens me most though is the worry that people may see food banks as a means to an end in certain circumstances. Yes, it is there for the people who need it the most. How do they decide this? If Mr Bloggs decides to spend his benefits on drugs and alcohol then the food banks feed his children for 3 days per voucher. If Mr Jones decides that he simply has to buy the latest game for his child's Xbox then the food banks will feed his children for 3 days. What justifies a case for being in desperate need of help? IMO it should be a system for those only who literally can't survive after they have paid for the basic essentials in life - rent, water, electric, gas, tv licence etc - the bills that HAVE to be paid, not the money spent on items that aren't essential.

I know that may sound very cynical but they must have some form of filtering system in place. I know the child of a drug addicted parent should not suffer for their parents problems but surely this is a crutch that some people will take advantage of. It is something I am very interested to learn more about though and i apologise if my reply comes across as ignorant or anything xxx
Posted By: shar215 Re: Food banks - 26th Dec 2012 8:05pm
foods banks are abused i know a family that uses this charitable service .. both him and her always have a fag in there hand . and a spliff to smoke .
Posted By: venice Re: Food banks - 26th Dec 2012 10:57pm
Yes , there is. This is one of the reasons Im interested in having a thread about how banks work. Food banks are a brilliant idea , but in order for the maximum number of people to give,(most people have an inbuilt sense of fairplay) I think they need to be seen to be strictly giving only to the very needy. Easy to say, but how exactly do we achieve this? What ideas are around on here that could be useful in achieving that goal? Is it solvable?
Posted By: brittone05 Re: Food banks - 1st Jan 2013 11:53am
See Venice that is what I think I was trying to say ( I tend to type drivel when I think at the same time lol )

How do they decide who "needs" the help the most? If you can afford to buy cigarettes then why can't you afford to buy food? I always do my food shopping first after paying the bills and then if anything is left, half goes into a pot for emergencies through the week, the rest we use to buy treats such as choccy or ice cream for the kids or to maybe put extra electric etc in.

It worries me that people who put luxuries and non essential items before food will take advantage of the food banks xx
Posted By: granny Re: Food banks - 1st Jan 2013 2:36pm
How it works...... taken from link Rudebox posted.

How a foodbank works
Food is donated
Schools, churches, businesses and individuals donate non-perishable, in-date food to the foodbank. All food given out by foodbanks is donated.

‘Supermarket Collections’ are one of the main ways that food is donated: These are food drives held at supermarkets where volunteers give shoppers a ‘foodbank shopping list’ and ask them to buy an extra item or two for local people in crisis.

Food is sorted and stored
Volunteers sort food to check that it’s in date and pack it into boxes ready to be given to people in need.

Frontline care professionals identify people in need
Care professionals such as doctors, health visitors, social workers, CAB and police identify people in crisis and issue them with a foodbank voucher.

Clients receive food
Foodbank clients bring their voucher to a foodbank centre where it can be redeemed for three days emergency food. Volunteers meet clients over a cup of tea or free hot meal and are able to signpost people to agencies able to solve the longer-term problem.

Just one point I feel should be raised, is the pre Christmas drive for donations at supermarkets around Wirral, I think they may have also been for sending abroard. Hence the toothbrushes,soap, shampoo etc. Which in it's own way is quite acceptable, so hopefully the figures quoted are not relating completely, to the need of Wirral residents.

Posted By: Razzi Re: Food banks - 21st Jan 2013 11:59am
Is this the same Aarons cafe thats opening on hoylake road by the Bidston pub and if so does anyone know when he will be opening and whats going to go on there to help the needy of the area. Because i'm not sure just how opening a cafe to the public helps the homeless or anyone but the owner... sorry cynical i know. but maybe someone can explain it too me in simple terms.
© Wirral-Wikiwirral