Forums
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 2:37pm
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I can't find the appropriate thread.

I have just bought some chrome light switches and wondered if these need earthing to metal back box? At the moment the earth is connected to the back box, should I extend this with a short piece of earth wire to the chrome switch, or can I just leave the switch not earthed?

I seem to recall someone on Brookie getting electrocuted because they didn't fit the switch correctly smile

Thanks
Posted By: chriskay Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 2:47pm
If the face plate is metal, certainly should be earthed and should have a tag to do it, but are you sure it's not just plastic chromed?
Posted By: Willo_ Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 2:47pm
Originally Posted by Headcoat_TheMrs
Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I can't find the appropriate thread.

I have just bought some chrome light switches and wondered if these need earthing to metal back box? At the moment the earth is connected to the back box, should I extend this with a short piece of earth wire to the chrome switch, or can I just leave the switch not earthed?

I seem to recall someone on Brookie getting electrocuted because they didn't fit the switch correctly smile

Thanks
is there a terminal on back of face plate for an earth wire?
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 3:41pm
Its is a chrome cover, which clips onto a plasting switch plate (with chrome switch), this does have an earth terminal which when wired up would touch the chrome cover.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 4:58pm
It needs earthing as you are relying on the two screws that hold it to back box and if the part from the back box when removing which can happen would result in there being no earth.

Companies don't design these things and put earthing terminals there to look good they do it to make safe

Earthing conductor is a protective conductor connecting a earthing terminal of an metal body to the main earthing terminal of your installation

The real name for this is protective equipotential bonding
Meaning equipotential bonding for the purpose of safety
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 5:12pm
Thanks for the advice, looks like its a trip to B & Q for some earthing wire.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 6:11pm
Much better for any nasty volt type thingies to find their way to earth via an earth connection, than via your goodself !!

You could become wildly invigorated - for a short time.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 6:45pm
It's been a while since he was ' wildly invigorated ' . Even for a short time wink

TheMrs
Posted By: sean99789 Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 8:30pm
How much you need ?
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 22nd Dec 2012 9:03pm
Only really need enough to do 3 switches. Was just gonna pinch some from an old extension lead. Would that be ok?

TheMrs
Posted By: sean99789 Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 8:30am
Better than nothing or I could drop you some off later today your choice as long as it is sleeved the right colour as well ;-)
Posted By: KevinFinity Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 10:21am
Actually In the 17 edition of the regs bs7671 you no longer need to earth the cover plate if the back box has at least one fixed lug. That only applys to new installations though where nearly all circuits are rcd protected so on older installations they do need earthing.
Posted By: chriskay Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 10:30am
If the plate is fitted, as it should be, with a tag, you'll also need some connectors. Sounds as if sean will have all that you need.
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 12:35pm
Thanks guys for all the advice. especially
to sean for the offer of dropping some off. We have managed to get hold of some so will fit it just to be on the safe side.

Merry Xmas and thanks again

TheMrs
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 2:00pm
Right, first two have been done and work. Slight problem with the hall one with it being two way, the existing switch is different to the one new one. The existing has L3 the new one only has L1 and L2. How do I wire this up, or do I have the wrong switch.

Attached picture Original.jpg
Attached picture New.jpg
Posted By: Willo_ Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 2:05pm
wire it exactly the same as the one in pic above, just picture the one on left in 2nd pic being upside down, if you know what i mean
Posted By: chriskay Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 5:03pm
Play it safe, get an electrician: too easy to make a mistake if you don't know what you're doing.
Posted By: rossie Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 6:27pm
Sorry I cannot believe this post: it will cost around £40 for a professional to do this job. risking your life that of your family and future occupants of the house for less than the price of a football ticket.Not worth it.
Over the years I know two families who have lost young family members because of botched electrical wiring. OK i know it is only a plug but it is metal.
Please follow chriskay's advice and have a safe free Christmas.
Posted By: chriskay Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 9:36pm
Originally Posted by rossie
have a safe free Christmas.

Sorry, what does that mean exactly???
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 10:01pm
Originally Posted by chriskay
Originally Posted by rossie
have a safe free Christmas.

Sorry, what does that mean exactly???

I was thinking that too but was too afraid to ask smile

TheMrs
Posted By: Salmon Re: chrome light switch advice - 23rd Dec 2012 10:39pm
I guess it is meant to say safe accident free Christmas. Basically don't mess about with electricity if you do not know exactly what you are doing.Far too easy to mess things up and cause accidents/fatalities, better to pay circa £40 for a professional than risk yours and possibly other lives.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: chrome light switch advice - 24th Dec 2012 8:20am
The offer has already been sent and not one mention of paying as I don't see how anyone can charge 40 for five mins work

To the original poster as I said before just message me and I'll sort it for you

Oh well of to play with bigger things than this now lol happy Christmas Eve folks
Posted By: Tatey Re: chrome light switch advice - 24th Dec 2012 9:35am
Lord Birkett tried to mend the electric light
And gave himself an awful fright.
For tis the duty of the wealthy man
To provide employment for the artisan.
Posted By: Salmon Re: chrome light switch advice - 24th Dec 2012 11:29am
To Sean, well done on offering to do it for free.Yes 5 minutes to one who knows what they are doing but quite a bit of worry and hassle as demonstrated in the thread for one who does not.Professionals do charge what may seem a lot but you are paying for their knowledge and experience also I imagine £40 was just a very rough guess.
Posted By: sean99789 Re: chrome light switch advice - 24th Dec 2012 12:08pm
Well it's just my trade and charged less than £40 to change 10 switches once but I would do a little job like this for nothing they can message me here if they are stuck and I will do anything I can to help as the amount of times you end up going as there is something like I put all the reds together and all the blacks but it just blows gets to me and I just know that if id of had a pound for them jobs I'd be laughing lol
Posted By: Headcoat_TheMrs Re: chrome light switch advice - 24th Dec 2012 6:08pm
Thanks Sean we may just take you up on that offer in the new year if that's ok?.

And to the other posters there is no way we would be stupid enough to attempt something that we didn't think we were capable of doing. Which is why we came on here for advice in the first place.

Many thanks again Sean and we will be in touch in the new year

Merry Christmas

TheMrs
© Wirral-Wikiwirral