Forums
Posted By: lashs can anyone help out rehoming ex battery hens?ASAP - 28th Nov 2012 12:32am
Hi all a bit of a strange random request but....... I have just had a pm off a friend in rescue that needs help in rehoming 200 ex battery chickens is there any chance at all that some of you may be able to help please ..contact Lisa Funnel or Nikki Greaves on facebook or msg me here x
200+ hens? wow, this place is mad. lol
Posted By: Anonymous Re: can anyone help out rehoming ex battery hens?ASAP - 28th Nov 2012 8:21am
Over the years I've "rescued" ex-battery hens. They tend to be kept for their first year (maximum laying period) then just destroyed. With a little tlc they will continue to lay most days for years.

Even bog-standard hens develop real characters after a short time. Great time wasters. You don't need a big area to keep them in either. Oodles of REAL eggs on tap. Flog the surplus to your neighbours, collegues etc.

Plenty of bumf on internet or library on how to start. Easy peasy!

Go for 4 or 6 to start with. 200+ may be a bit much for your average back garden though !

Help out if you can.

We could manage to re home six I guess.they could move in with our warren flock no probs
Pinz,

How long do the batteries last for?
Depends if they are long life or standard !🐔🐔🐔
Lashes pm me.Thanks
hi, i am in wallasey but have no transport - if i pay fuel can you bring some of the hens to wallasey? (not 200 of them though, about 5 if possible with probably another few as a friend already keeps hens but she wants more
Posted By: Anonymous Re: can anyone help out rehoming ex battery hens?ASAP - 28th Nov 2012 12:32pm
@Tatey... The batteries seem to last about 3 years, then they're utterly clucked !!
Are there any that run off the mains ?
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer
Over the years I've "rescued" ex-battery hens. They tend to be kept for their first year (maximum laying period) then just destroyed. With a little tlc they will continue to lay most days for years.

Even bog-standard hens develop real characters after a short time. Great time wasters. You don't need a big area to keep them in either. Oodles of REAL eggs on tap. Flog the surplus to your neighbours, collegues etc.

Go for 4 or 6 to start with. 200+ may be a bit much for your average back garden though !

Help out if you can.

lol imagine the commotion of 200 chickens in your garden tease
Posted By: Anonymous Re: can anyone help out rehoming ex battery hens?ASAP - 28th Nov 2012 7:38pm
Originally Posted by Katryn
Originally Posted by Pinzgauer

Help out if you can.

lol imagine the commotion of 200 chickens in your garden tease

Indeed. Especially if you put one cockerel in amongst them !!!! grin
© Wirral-Wikiwirral