Forums
Posted By: catlover Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 4:11pm
Decided to take advantage of the warm weather and drove to Hoylake to take leisurely walk along prom but was terrified as numerous cyclists rode along prom at fast speed causing mums with prams and toddlers to quickly move out of the way as they walked in the bright sunshine
Is it me or should cyclists on Hoylake prom keep to the road?
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 5:32pm
the road surely i think that is the rule isn't it...?
Posted By: dave_h Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 5:37pm
Originally Posted by markw2621
the road surely i think that is the rule isn't it...?

i thought they were allowed?

not alowed on a pavement whilst cycling, came out of ghostly1's flat before and some dick riding down on the pavement just escaped a smashing off a landy as i left the entrance...
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 5:37pm
Wallasey prom is the same! Cyclists zooming around at 20 mph. Walkers walking in the cycle lane....
Posted By: davew3 Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 6:38pm
Shhh, your not allowed to talk about bad cyclists, only bad car drivers, it seems cyclists don't have to worry about the road traffic acts as they don't apply to them, even traffic lights seem to be for cars only and running across a red light is ok to cycle across, if there's a group it's ok for them to be strung across the road as it seems to be allowed when your a cyclist.

I do drive and I do cycle.
Posted By: j_demo Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 6:45pm
Originally Posted by RUDEBOX
Wallasey prom is the same! Cyclists zooming around at 20 mph. Walkers walking in the cycle lane....

is the case 99% of the time, i have lost count how many people i've had to avoid who are walking in the cycle lane. usually with dogs who want to escape so leads are stretching a few meters as well.

we can do what speed we want on cycle lanes, they're there so we can, but some people think it means "walk here with your annoying dog"
Posted By: Moonstar Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 7:04pm
Sounds like a very nasty accident just waiting to happen. The sun seems to bring out the daft side of brain function.
Posted By: Bobario Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 7:13pm
That bit of the prom is a bit of a problem area for us cyclists as the prom is usually full of walkers, and the grass bank at the top of the sea wall and the bridleway on the other side are usually full of dog walkers.

The best thing to do would be to provide a separate cycle path at the top of the embankment for us to use, similar to the one between Leasowe and New Brighton. But then the ramblers and dog walkers would see the nice flat tarmac path and use that instead of the prom, like they do with the other one.
Posted By: RUDEBOX Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 7:13pm
The prom is utter chaos at times, if everyone- walkers/ cyclists/ dog owners stuck to the unwritten rules then im sure we could all rub along together but I doubt it will happen.

Posted By: oldpm01 Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 8:19pm
Hoylake promenade is in part a cycle path - and it takes all users of a shared resource to use it responsibly. So walkers should be aware of cycle lanes on pavements -and equally cyclist should also be aware of pedestrians and in particular children and dogs who don't know about cycle lanes.

I cycle regularly but when passing pedestrians on the wirral way or other shared cycle/pedestrian routes I slow down - say a cheery hello - which is usually returned. However there are some cycists who unfortunately give all of us a bad name by cycling like muppets...

Posted By: MrPhil Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 9th Aug 2012 8:32pm
Try to keep the speed down on the prom, including hoylake front. If I do speed then I atleast give them a wide berth.

Tuesday & Wednesday night I was mostly on the back wheel on Seacombe prom anyway haha
Posted By: catlover Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 10th Aug 2012 6:40am
Unlike New Brighton promenade, which is close to where I live, there is no designated cycle lane on Hoylake prom..I agree with the post that says there is a serious accident waiting to happen there

Posted By: Tatey Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 10th Aug 2012 7:45am
I drive & I cycle & dog walk, but I wish other cyclists would use a bell so that walkers can see where they need to move to for the safety of all concerned.
Posted By: angelina Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 11th Aug 2012 9:44pm
Here Here Tatey, ring your bell!!! I walk dog on the prom , he stays on lead. Its sometimes chaos, bikes have ran my daughter dog and grandson into the wall before as they are not always using the cycle lanes.
P.s my dog stays away from those cycle lanes and pulls us away from them if we walk on them!!!
Posted By: MaXi_LoPeZ Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 11th Aug 2012 11:51pm
the cycle path from the derby pool to the car park at the leasowe sand hills is so pointless and annoying. for one it is about 200 metres long, secondly it is about 1.5 metres wide meaning if there are people walking a long it (there always is) it is impossible to get out of the way. That is why I just use the much wider promenade path and ignore the grumpy faces of the walkers
Posted By: MrPhil Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 12th Aug 2012 4:13pm
Got some nice video footage from Wallesey to New Brighton.

I will admit I was riding at around 18-20 mph and undertook 2 cyclists and she was on the grass. 2 dogs without leads and 1 jumps to the cycle path.

And yes I own a dog and I also walk.
Posted By: Uffda Re: Bicyclists on Hoylake promenade - 12th Aug 2012 4:46pm
In defence of cyclists, last week, I was on Leasowe Rd and while going past Links View garage (on the3 road), an idiot who was looking at one of the parked cars just walked out onto the road without looking. I had to swerve to avoid hitting him and the car behind me had to do an emergency stop to avoid hitting me. I didn't even get an apology from the guy even though I could easily have been killed if the car behind me hadn't been able to stop.
It's not always cyclists at fault, I swear that some driver is going to get me by not looking before they open their car door!
© Wirral-Wikiwirral